In Memory of a Roommate and a Friend: Maura Murphy, 1978-1999

As many of you may know, a Georgetown student passed away this summer (See “Student Dies of Undetected Heart Problem” ). Her name was Maura Murphy, and she was going to be a senior in the McDonough School of Business. Maura had just spent the semester abroad in adrid, Spain, with many other Georgetown students. Maura was an intern in New York this summer and was living in the New York University dorms. It was there that she passed away unexpectedly, in her sleep. Her death was natural, and the doctor at the hospital she was brought to informed us that she died without pain.

Maura had a unique personality. She enjoyed life with unlimited enthusiasm, and her presence was felt wherever she was. She was a prankster and loved a good time, but most of all, she was an unconditional friend to many of us at Georgetown. Pieces of her will be carried with us in ways that we may never even realize. When she passed away, there was not only shock, but also anger at the fact that someone so young could just be gone.

After a long summer, returning to Georgetown is a relief, because Maura’s Georgetown family can be back together. It is hard to understand how life is still in motion as it always seemed to be. But it is the unpredictability of our lives, wherever they may turn, or even end, that should make us appreciate life and live as passionately as we can.

One of the most comforting things this summer was when so many Georgetown students came together in Philadelphia for Maura’s funeral. People flew in from all over the country to be together with Maura’s family and friends. This sense of family that emanates from Georgetown students is something to not only recognize, but to embrace.

We have another chance to pull together here on campus. There will be a memorial service in late September. There will be information posted on campus and in The Hoya. Everyone is welcome at this service, and your presence would be greatly appreciated. I would like to thank Kevin Wildes, S.J., and Brendan Hurley, S.J., for helping my roommates and me, not only with the service, but also with our return to campus.

Christy Kingham is a senior in the College.