Stephen Cangialosi, CAS ’83

A family that sent four of its members through Georgetown lost one of its own Sept. 11 when Stephen Cangialosi (CAS ’83) died in the South Tower of the World Trade Center.

Cangialosi’s brother Thomas (CAS ’79), his sister Elizabeth Dickey (CAS ’79) and his father, also named Thomas (MED ’59), all attended Georgetown.

Stephen lived in central New Jersey and is survived by his wife and two children. He was a municipal bond broker for Cantor Fitzgerald, which occupied the 101st through 105th floors of the South Tower.

Cangialosi was also a graduate of Christian Brothers’ Academy in Lincroft, N.J., where a memorial service for him was held on Sept. 23.

According to CBA President Brother Andrew O’Gara, FSC, the service, called a “celebration of life,” ran far over its scheduled three hours because so many people attended the ceremony and wanted to speak on Cangialosi’s behalf.

O’Gara said that teachers who knew Cangialosi described him as a “soft-spoken, quiet fellow,” and that he was very active in intramural sports while at CBA.

Another memorial service was held for Cangialosi at St. Catherine’s Church in Middletown, N.J., Sept. 24.

Joe Eacobacci, COL ’96

Former Georgetown football standout Joe Eacobacci (COL ’96) has left a legacy that goes beyond the impressive statistics he accumulated during his time as a student athlete on the Hilltop.

“He had more friends than anybody, and that was what made him a beautiful person,” Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson said. “He would light up a room, he really could make people smile and bring enjoyment and pleasure to a room.”

Benson, who coached Eacobacci from 1993 to 1995, and the 2001 football team have dedicated the remainder of their season to Eacobacci. The entire football team will wear Joe’s number, 35, along with the American flag on the backs of their helmets.

“When you coach 100 guys a year – about 25 to 30 kids in every class – there’s a lot of different personalities,” Benson said. “Joe was loved by everybody: coaches, teammates, teachers, administrators – everybody.”

According to his older brother, Tom Eacobacci (MSB ’93), who also played for the Hoyas from 1990 to 1993, over 3,000 people attended his funeral held Sept. 25 at St. Andrew’s Church in New York.

“The thing about my brother is that he was a very likable person,” Tom said. “He was liked by his peers, his coaches, people his junior, his friends’ parents.”

Joe’s family and the university are in the process of creating a scholarship in Joe’s name, most likely for prospective football players with financial need.

Thomas Galvin, GSB ’90

Thomas Galvin (GSB ’90) aimed for excellence in every aspect of his life – from his program-defining dedication to the Georgetown men’s golf team in his college days to his work as a senior vice president and corporate bond broker at Cantor Fitzgerald, housed in the World Trade Center.

“Every team that I have coached fashions itself somehow, some way to the spirit of Tommy and the way that he went about his business,” Men’s Head Golf Coach Tom Hunter said. “To do things the `Galvin way’ was not something that came overnight. We all needed to go to the lesson tee and make it perfect – only Tommy had the secret for perfection.”

“I’m confident that he never gave up that morning,” said Glen Mustion (GSB ’90), a close friend of Galvin’s. “Until the end, I’m sure that he was trying to organize a way out of that building – that was his true nature.”

Mustion and Galvin served together as co-captains of the men’s golf team from 1989 to 1990. “Tommy was everything a captain could and should be,” Mustion said. “He had so much love for the program and for its future.”

Galvin, 32, was a native of Greenwich, Conn. During his high-school career, he captained the Greenwich High School golf team and was named All-State and All-County Scholastic Golf Honors in 1986. After Galvin obtained his degree in finance from Georgetown, friend Joseph Shea (GSB ’76) attracted him to the investment firm Cantor Fitzgerald, located in the north tower of the World Trade Center. Shea, the senior executive managing director and a partner of the firm, also died in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Vanessa Kolpak, COL ’01

From the time she was a little girl, Vanessa Kolpak (COL ’01) impressed others with her intelligence.

“She was caring, upbeat and extremely smart,” her brother Todd Kolpak said. “She did science projects that I still don’t understand.”

Vanessa, 21, had worked at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods on the 89th floor of the South tower for two weeks before the Sept. 11 attacks.

“It was always her dream to be on Wall Street,” Kolpak said.

Vanessa studied economics and philosophy at Georgetown and graduated magna cum laude in May. She is from Lincolnwood, Ill., and is one of three children. She graduated from St. Ignatius College Prep in Chicago.

The Kolpak family last heard from Vanessa when she called her mother after the first plane struck the North Tower. The family said they still hope to find their daughter alive in the wreckage.

According to Vanessa’s mother, Vivian Kolpak, the FBI is still in recovery mode. She cited “pockets” which may not have sustained damage and protected the occupants of that space. The family is hopeful that Vanessa will be found in one of these pockets.

“Hopeful prayers are how miracles happen,” Vivian Kolpak said.

During her time at Georgetown, Vanessa worked with Peer Education for three years and studied abroad in Prague, Czech Republic, her junior year.

Matthew G. Leonard, CAS ’84

“You couldn’t not like him . he was so good he was like a saint,” Karen Prosky, a co-worker of Matthew G. Leonard (CAS ’84) said, echoing the sentiments of Leonard’s colleagues and friends.

Leonard, 38, was working as director of litigation at Cantor Fitzgerald in the South Tower of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11.

Colleagues described Leonard as a friendly, compassionate and hard working lawyer with an extensive history of pro-bono work.

He was a board member with MFY Legal Services, a New York organization focused on providing legal assistance to the underprivileged.

Leonard was a devout Catholic and an active member of his church.

He graduated in 1980 from Regis High School, a prestigious Jesuit high school in New York, before coming to Georgetown.

Leonard was extremely close to his family. Matthew and his wife, Yolanda Cerda Leonard, met while working at Willkie, Farr and Gallagher.

The couple and their seven-month-old daughter Christina, seven months old, lived in Brooklyn.

Francis Menton, a former co-worker at Willkie, Farr, and Gallagher, the law firm where Leonard had worked for several years before joining Cantor Fitzgerald, remembered Matt as “a very fine singer.”

Leonard was known for singing Christmas carols in the hallways of the offices where he worked and even with the homeless on the streets of New York.

Sara Manley, COL ’92

On Aug. 11, Sara Manley (COL ’92) and Bill Harvey (GSB ’92) were married in Chapel Hill, N.C.

On their one-month anniversary, Harvey, on a business trip in Washington, heard a radio report that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center, and watched on television as the second tower was hit.

“I had seen her offices,” Harvey said. “They were very close to where the first plane hit. I can take some consolation in that. Her back was to that side. I think she never saw it coming. I realistically think she never knew what hit her.”

Though Sara was a successful student during her time at Georgetown, former roommate Candy Be (SFS ’92) described her friend as “a very humble person.”

“Something that’s always important as a friend is that despite her intelligence and great success, I don’t think I ever once heard Sara boast,” Be said.

“As is often the case with the youngest,” Sara’s brother John wrote in the online publication The Irish Echo, Sara tried “to compete with her older siblings . We often belittled her, believing that she should stick with kids her own age. But this gave her an edge that would serve her well later in life.”

In honor of Sara’s dedication to academics, Harvey has established a scholarship in his wife’s name for devoted students who wish to study economics.

“I think a scholarship is a great testament to someone,” he said. “It is one of the best ways of ensuring her memory. Georgetown is close to both of us, so it seemed like natural thing to do.”

Daniel McNeil, MBA ’00

The last one to leave the 104th floor of the World Trade Center South Tower, Daniel McNeil’s (MBA ’00) last few minutes were consistent with the giving spirit of the rest of his 29 years: He wanted to make sure everyone else was safely descending the tower before he left.

His mother Kathryn told The New York Times that Daniel lived by the Jesuit motto “a man for others.”

“His whole life was always `do things right,'” she said.

Daniel planned to distinguish himself on Wall Street and then become a Georgetown professor. He graduated cum laude from Boston College with a degree in finance and earned his MBA magna cum laude from Georgetown.

For the last 15 months, Daniel worked as a banking analyst at Sandler O’Neill and Partners. “He loved the people. He loved the work,” his mother told The New York Times. “He wanted to work in that company because it’s an ethical company.”

“He always put everyone before himself,” Daniel’s cousin Stacy Danko said. “He had a great sense of humor, but a kind sense of humor. Never malicious. He could always just make you smile.”

Daniel was supposed to give away his sister, Kathleen, in marriage this week. “The wedding will go on because that’s what he would want,” Kathryn McNeil told The New York Times. “He just lived his life for other people. But this has just shaken us to our very core. We are trying to remember that even though there’s evil in the world, there are some very, very good people.”

Lisa J. Raines, LAW ’82

Lisa J. Raines (LAW ’82) was on her way to Los Angeles aboard American Airlines Flight 77 when the hijacked plane crashed into the Pentagon.

Raines, 42, was senior vice president of government relations at Genzyme Corporation and a resident of Great Falls, Va.

Described by Genzyme Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Henri A. Termeer as “brilliant,” Raines was responsible for federal legislative and regulatory policy issues, including the enactment of major health care legislation which included the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Modernization Act of 1997, the FDA Export Reform and Enhancement Act of 1996 and the Biotechnology Patent Protection Act of 1995. She also worked with the FDA in 1997 to develop a new policy governing cellular therapies.

“She was a tremendous advocate for this company and for the biotechnology industry, who worked tirelessly and effectively in Washington to ensure that the best medicines reached patients,” Termeer said in a press release. “We will greatly miss her.”

According to a statement released by Genzyme, Raines is survived by her husband, Stephen Push, a former vice president of corporate communications at Genzyme, a biotechnology company that develops medical products.

Raines also worked with the Industrial Biotechnology Association as director of government relations and as vice president. According to the press release, she helped formulate the Drug Export Amendments Act of 1986, the Process Patent Amendments Act of 1988 and the Prescription Drug User Fee Act of 1992.

Jason Sabbag, COL ’97

Jason Sabbag (COL ’97) always aimed for success.

“Jason was 12 when I met him, and even then he was competitive and focused to succeed,” Mark Hagan, Sabbag’s brother-in-law and best friend, said.

An assistant vice president at Fiduciary Trust Co. International, Sabbag was at work on the 94th floor of the World Trade Center Sept. 11.

Sabbag, 26, joined Fiduciary in September 2000 and had set a career trajectory aimed at becoming a chartered financial analyst and portfolio manager. He had recently been promoted at the company.

Sabbag and his fiancee, Sarah Hare, had been together for six years. He spent much of his free time rollerblading or jogging in Central Park with Hagan or at his parents’ house in Greenwich, Conn., where he grew up.

“In high school and at Georgetown he was always the ringleader, trying to get people to go out,” Hagan said. “He had the `work hard, play hard’ mentality. He had his life in balance.

“At the end of the day, the reason people liked him was because they liked being with him. With Jason, you always had a good time. He had a terrific sense of humor and was always in a good mood,” Hagan said.

“He always chose friends and family first – which is hard to do in New York,” Hagan said.

Joseph P. Shea, GSB ’76

When a nepotism clause prevented Daniel Shea from being hired at Cantor Fitzgerald away from a rival firm, his brother Joseph P. Shea (GSB ’76) approached the board of directors and asked that the company waive the policy.

“He told them `Danny’s hurting us and taking away our business . We have to hire him,'” Joe’s mother-in-law Margaret Frocella said.

Both were at work in The World Trade Center on Sept. 11.

Frocella said Joe, 47, a senior executive managing director and a partner of Cantor Fitzgerald, was extremely close to his siblings and especially enjoyed working with Daniel, who was the managing director and a partner of the firm.

“It’s so easy in death to say that someone was wonderful, but Joe truly was,” Frocella said. “He was exceptionally kind, generous – a deeply religious man.”

Associate Vice President for Alumni Relations Bill Reynolds (COL ’79) described Joe as an “active alumnus who demonstrated his love for [his] alma mater in a variety of ways, including his work as a member of the [Alumni Admissions Program] and the Wall Street Alliance, his support of athletics and his attendance at his most recent reunion.”

Joe and his wife of 16 years, Nancy, have four children: Patrick, 14; Peter, 12; Casey, 10; and Daniel, 7.

“He was an excellent father, and he did everything out of love for his children,” Frocella said. “He supported his family in every way that there is.”

An avid sports fan, Joe coached many of his children’s baseball and hockey teams over the past 10 years. “He never missed one of their games,” Frocella said.

Patrick Sullivan, GSB ’91

Patrick Sullivan (GSB ’91), 32, died with his cousin Peter ilano when the North Tower of the World Trade Center collapsed Sept. 11. An assistant over-the-counter market maker for Cantor Fitzgerald, Patrick had been working at the investment firm for six years.

According to his father, Patrick was an avid runner and musician. As well as running all-city track at Xavarian High School, he ran at Georgetown for two years. He remained dedicated to the sport until his death. “[Patrick] had been training for the past few weeks to run the New York Marathon,” his father said.

Patrick’s brother Gerald said he sang for a band at Georgetown called “Sweet and Low.”He practically taught himself how to play the guitar,” his father said.

Patrick is survived by his father and mother Patrick and Mary as well as his brother Gerald. He is also survived by his brother Gregory and his children: Desiree, 8; Gregory, 2; and Jacqueline, 7 months.

A memorial service was held Sept. 22 for Patrick at St. Thomas ore Church in Rockaway Point, Queens, N.Y. At least 25 of Patrick’s Georgetown classmates attended the service, according to his father. “He was a very popular boy,” he said.

Patrick’s family and friends are in the process of creating a track scholarship in his memory at Georgetown. It will be awarded to students with parents who are firefighters, policemen and emergency medical technicians.

Sandra D. Teague, Physical Therapist at Georgetown University Hospital

After planning the trip of her dreams for over a year, Sandra D. Teague, a physical therapist at Georgetown University Hospital, boarded American Airlines Flight 77 with the same sense of adventure, excitement and wonder she directed to every aspect of her life.

On Tuesday, Sept. 11, Frank Huffman, Teague’s boyfriend of four months, dropped her off at Dulles International Airport for the first leg of her trip to Australia.

Only a few hours later, her flight to Los Angeles, hijacked by terrorists, crashed into the Pentagon.

“She had an amazing sense of adventure, and she couldn’t wait to take her first international trip,” said co-worker Morgan Hall, clinical manager of the department of physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Hall described the couple’s relationship as “very intense” and said they were “quickly going down the road of engagement, marriage and children.”

A dedicated athlete, Teague’s plans in Australia included rock-climbing, hiking and rafting. She was also a member of her department’s recreational softball league, The Scrubs.

Teague, 31, earned her bachelor of science degree in business management/marketing at the University of North Carolina in Greensboro, N.C., in 1992 and her master of science in physical therapy at the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1998.

“She possessed excellent clinical skills combined with warm compassion for all of her patients,” her co-workers wrote in a memoriam. “Her willingness to share her knowledge and skills with her co-workers and with the students whom she mentored was an extension of her love of her profession.”

Leslie Whittington, Professor at Georgetown Public Policy Institute

Georgetown Public Policy Institute Professor Leslie Whittington, 45, was en route to a fellowship in Australia with husband of 17 years Charles Falkenberg, 45, daughters Zoe, 8, and Dana, 3, when hijackers crashed their American Airlines flight into the Pentagon.

“To describe Leslie as a powerful presence in our lives is an understatement. Her strength, warmth and love of life affected us all. She will always be with us,” Dean of Policy Studies Judith Feder said.

Feder said Whittington’s colleagues and former students “are overwhelmed with it. She is a beloved member of our community, which is like a family. She and her family are very much a part of ours,” and added that Falkenberg was “a devoted father and husband – a terrific guy.”

Alan Berube (GRD ’99), who described Whittington as his favorite teacher and good friend, said, “there are some people whom, even if you don’t see them all the time, you know the world functions better because of them. Leslie was one of those people.”

According to Feder, the family had recently purchased a house and was planning to move in upon their return from Australia.

Whittington taught microeconomics; public finance; race, gender and the job market; international social development; and the Research Practicum at Georgetown. She had recently finished a two-year term as associate dean of the GPPI, where, according to the Institute’s Web site, she was responsible for their academic programs.

“A colleague said it was going to be difficult enough to get through the term without her,” Feder said. “I can’t imagine it now.”

-Compiled by Hoya Staff Writers Arianne Aryanpur, Amanda cGrath, Liz McDonald, Stephen Owens, Anne Rittman, Tim Sullivan and Tracy Zupancis