To the Editor:

The issue of racism, diversity and equality are important issues, especially in college, where we come into contact with so many different types of people.

Although we might like to believe that the days of racism are over, as Josh Zumbrun might believe (“Separation Frustrates Diversity,” The Hoya, Oct. 26, 2004, A3), it is clear that this is not the case.

As a minority, I too believed that the days of racism were over, and that no one cared what you looked like. But during my high school years, I discovered that this was not true.

Attending a summer program before my junior year in high school, I was told that I was the “token black guy.” At first, I brushed it off as one silly remark. However, I soon realized that these remarks are all too common.

As high school progressed, I participated in numerous debates on affirmative action, race and IQ, and other areas. I’ve been told that I’m an “exception to [my] race,” implying that African Americans are inherently unintelligent.

After being accepted to Georgetown, of course the affirmative action debates began, and of course I was told that I only was accepted because of my background.

Clearly, equality is not found everywhere in our country.

The creation of minority-centered newspapers and departments are not divisive. Instead, they allow us to explore and learn about other peoples’ experiences. We cannot allow ignorance to grow, and it is through the college experience that we learn about the struggles and triumphs of all people.

Although I believe that minorities do not need special facilities and care simply for being minorities, I do acknowledge that true equality has not yet been achieved in the U.S.

Simply pushing these issues aside and pretending that everything is perfect will only make the situation worse.

Jason Johnson (COL ’08)

Oct. 27, 2004