Hussey Solidifies Georgetown Line

Rich Hussey was ready for a big Homecoming game last year against the University of Pennsylvania. Unfortunately for the Hoya offensive lineman, his left knee wasn’t. On a routine running play early in the first quarter, Hussey was blocking five yards down field when his running back got tackled into his left leg, and the impact dislocated Hussey’s knee. A dislocated left kneecap is nothing new for Hussey – it was the sixth time he had suffered the injury, dating back to high school. Nonetheless, the injury limited him to four games last year.

Despite a disappointing junior season, the senior left guard has developed into an anchor on the offensive line and a team leader, largely because of a work ethic that he credits to his family’s history of working in law enforcement.

“If there’s one guy I’d get in a foxhole with, it’s Rich Hussey,” Head Coach Kevin Kelly says. “He’s a true team guy; he’d do anything he could to work to get on the field.”

Unable to contribute much on the field during his curtailed junior season, Hussey spent the offseason improving his game for his senior season. He hit the weight room harder than ever and put in extra work during spring practices, all the while exuding a sense of leadership and work ethic that permeated throughout the squad. By the time fall arrived, Hussey was not only fully prepared physically, but he had also been voted one of five team captains.

But Hussey didn’t attend Georgetown just to play football. He – and his family – understood the importance of a strong education, which was a major reason for his decision to come to Georgetown. A two-way lineman in high school, Hussey was named to New Jersey’s first team all-state as he led an undefeated St. Peter’s Prep to a state championship at Giants Stadium during his senior year. He considered other schools, including Patriot League rival Lafayette, but he ultimately found Georgetown’s academics too appealing to turn down.

“Well, I went to look at different places . What did it for me [at Georgetown] was the academics,” Hussey said. “My mother saw the academics and she basically made the decision for me. And ever since I came here I’ve loved it.”

So when Hussey’s knee let him down last season, he made sure he continued to excel in the classroom. A government major, he has taken advantage of Georgetown’s educational opportunities; he earned Patriot League academic honor roll honors his sophomore season and hopes to continue the family line by working in federal law enforcement post-graduation.

“This is Georgetown University – it’s not a football factory,” Kelly said. “Academics is first and football is second.”

Hussey hasn’t forgotten about the football part of his college experience, though. He has been back sporting a knee brace at left guard for the Hoyas’ first three games, all losses, and the senior is confident that he will remain healthy throughout the season. His knee continues to give him some problems – “It still swells up every once in a while,” he said – but it has held up so far, and surgery is not expected to be necessary until after the season.

Neither a chronic knee injury nor a disappointing 0-3 start could damper Hussey’s enthusiasm for football, however. He talks about tomorrow’s Howard game like it’s the biggest of his life; considering he will be playing his senior homecoming game against the Hoyas’ cross-district rivals, he’s probably right.

“It means a lot to me; it means everything to me,” Hussey said. “It’s our D.C. rival, it’s the D.C. Mayor’s Cup. We’ve got Howard coming in. They’re a fast team, they’re an athletic team, but we feel confident taking them on this week, and we just want to bring a homecoming win to Georgetown, to our alumni and fans.”

For a program that has lost its last two homecoming games by a combined score of 72-14, a homecoming victory against any opponent would be celebrated. Protecting Georgetown’s home turf against its local rival and retaining the accompanying hardware only add to the stakes.

“It’s huge right now,” Hussey said. “We’ve got a lot of people coming out here, and we’re really excited to take the D.C. Mayor’s Cup again this year .We won [12-7] last year at Howard and we’re trying to win at home this year.”

Regardless of tomorrow’s outcome, being healthy and back on the field playing football once again is a victory for Hussey. A homecoming win over Howard would make it that much sweeter.”