In thinking about the present Georgetown University Grilling Society controversy, all that comes to mind is that a little common sense could have gone a long way. Feminism, and all its champions stand for, is among the most important and obviously necessary causes. The lengths feminists have had to go, and the struggles they have had to endure to claim their current position are both inexplicable and inexcusable. A society of even the most basic caliber can only hope that the flag of feminism is always flown high and that the leaders of the cause continue forward with the courage that has brought them to where they are.

I have to say, though, in this instance, a number of those who have dedicated themselves to the feminist cause have done something that we’re all guilty of doing from time to time. In short, I think those protesting GUGS have failed to see the forest for the trees. Passion has brought them to action without their stopping for a moment to look at the whole situation at hand. The reaction from some to “Grills Gone Wild Week” and the subsequent overwhelming backlash in support of GUGS bring to light a couple of points that, in the heat of a passionate cause and impending conflict, those railing against GUGS have missed. Instead of looking at the GUGS event as one that represents the exploitation and degradation of women, the protesters should see it as a sure sign that the goals of feminism have come a long way. Chalk one up for progress when a large number of Hoyas (using Facebook group membership as a gauge) feel that as a community, we’re so far beyond using women and sexual exploitation as a selling point that we can now take “Grills Gone Wild Week” for the lighthearted event that it is. Humor comes from pointing out the absurdity in the world we live in – and the GUGS event lets those of us who have shed the loincloth and emerged from the cave to have an expertly cooked cheeseburger and a good laugh.

Philosophical points aside, a little common sense might do a bit of good here. The Georgetown student body is made up of some incredibly intelligent, insightful and, maybe most importantly, down-to-earth people. They’re fully capable of discerning truth, irony, absurdity, what is unquestionably right and what is unquestionably wrong. Suggesting – and believe me, I know that those protesting GUGS did not mean to come off this way – that a Hoya lacks the sophistication to be able to get a good laugh at “Girls Gone Wild Week’s” expense will tend to rub them the wrong way. It seems that’s what’s happened here. It also helps to pick one’s battles, so to speak. GUGS is a group that does everything it can to bring Hoyas together. The Republican and Democrat, the carnivore and vegan (yes, they cook more than just meat), the Hoya from New York and the Hoya from New Delhi can all appreciate a little classic rock and grilled delicacies that come from the corner of White-Gravenor on a pristine springtime Friday afternoon. There just might be some wisdom to giving the benefit of the doubt to something that represents Georgetown at its finest and saving the passionate crusade for the times when we need it the most.

Finally – and I’ll leave it with this – sometimes, we are at our best when we can take down our defenses for a moment and take things with a grain of salt. One of the most endearing qualities of a Hoya – and believe me when I say how important this becomes once we step outside Healy gates – is that a Hoya takes what he does very seriously but has the ability to not take himself too seriously. It’s at this point that you can see things for the way they are. I wish I could be back on the Hilltop next week – GUGS burgers are a rare thing out here in San Francisco.

urphy Gallagher graduated from the College in 2006.