On Saturday evening in Storrs, Conn., the Hoyas hit a bump in the road on their quest for Big East success this season. Georgetown’s three-game conference winning streak was snapped in a 1-0 loss to the Connecticut Huskies (5-2-2, 4-0 Big East) in a match that featured two nationally-ranked squads.

“It’s a tough atmosphere,” senior defender [Len Coleman](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/defensive-anchor-coleman-keeps-opponents-scoreboard/) said of the sold-out Morrone Stadium. “We played well, but we made a couple mistakes.”

Head Coach Brian Wiese shared Coleman’s sentiments.

“We were playing against another good team on the road, and that’s never going to be an easy game,” Wiese said. “UConn is very athletic. They sit pretty deep and make it hard to get in behind, then counter with real pace.”

As for playing in a sold-out venue on the road, Wiese took it as a compliment.

“It’s really a tribute to our guys,” he said. “UConn isn’t going to sell out for a team that isn’t any good.”

Like the majority of their 10 games to this point, this weekend’s match was a defensive battle for the Hoyas. Georgetown (6-3-1, 3-2 Big East) has played 10 games this season, and all 10 have ended with at least one team held without a goal.

“This team is built on getting zeros in the back and scoring one or two goals,” Coleman said. “We focus on limiting the other team’s opportunities. Usually, whoever scores the first goal wins the game.”

Unfortunately, the Blue and Gray did not draw first blood on Saturday. In the first 45 minutes, the Hoyas were outshot by the Huskies 7-2, but they dominated the tempo of play, controlling the ball in the attacking third of the pitch for much of the half.

“Not many of their shots were dangerous,” Wiese said. “We had better positions to take shots, but we couldn’t do anything with them.”

The most dangerous moment of the half came in the closing seconds when UConn junior forward Alan Ponce found himself one-on-one with junior [Mark Wilber](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/man-between-posts-brings-big-save-ability-hoyas/). Pressure from Wilber forced Ponce’s try wide of the frame, and the match remained scoreless at the break.

“Up until the last six seconds I felt pretty comfortable,” Wiese said. “The crowd was quiet. . It was like we were playing in front of 10 people, and that’s a great sign for a visiting team.”

In the opening moments of the second half, UConn hammered the Hoya defense, and the onslaught bore fruit in the 56th minute due in part to a controversial call. Connecticut sophomore midfielder Tony Cascio converted from the right side of the box, but the play was widely disputed both on the field and on the Georgetown bench.

“There was a handball,” Coleman said. “Unfortunately, the referee saw it a different way.”

“When everyone raises their hands at the same time, it’s not choreographed,” Wiese added. “The goal was huge and changed the game entirely. . The word I’ll use is `unlucky.'”

Playing from behind against the Huskies on the road is not a desirable position in the world of collegiate men’s soccer. The Hoyas pressed on and diffused further Connecticut threats but struggled to create offense of their own.

“We knew we could win if we scored first and that it would be tough the other way around,” Wiese said. “After the goal, we had to chase the game and started getting spread out.”

Nevertheless, the Hoyas did manage their best opportunity of the night in the final minute when freshman midfielder Tommy Muller came off the bench and whipped a cross into the box from the right side. The ball went untouched through the penalty area, taking with it Georgetown’s final hopes of forcing overtime.

“We pulled a defender and put [Muller] in up front and told him to cause problems,” Wiese said. “All it would have taken was a sneeze for that last ball to go in, but it didn’t happen.”

Despite being outshot 15-6 in the loss, Georgetown left Connecticut with valuable experience and pride in their performance.

“I think the team is maturing with every game,” Coleman said. “The goal is to be playing your best soccer at the end of the season, and I think we’re on the right track.”

The Hoyas play their first mid-week conference game of the year at Seton Hall on Wednesday, where they hope to turn lessons learned into their fourth Big East victory.

“We can’t make little mistakes,” Wiese said. “If you fall asleep for a second in this league, you’re going to give up a goal and lose a game.”

Wednesday’s meeting is sure to include some fireworks, as Seton Hall is renowned for being one of the best offensive teams in the country.

“It’s like a Wild West shootout,” Wiese said. “Both goalies are going to be sweating at halftime. . The main idea is to go out and play our style of soccer.” “

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Comments are closed.