Hoyas Win! Hoyas Win!

Hoyas Win! Hoyas Win!

13-Game, 20-Day Losing Streak Ends

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

For the second time in as many games, the women’s lacrosse team came back from a second-half deficit to defeat a ranked team. This time it was the No. 14 George Mason Patriots who fell victim to an offensive explosion by the Hoyas with under 15 minutes left in the game, as No. 8 Georgetown scored six straight goals after falling behind by three en route to a 12-10 victory over the Patriots in Fairfax, Va.

The Hoyas raised their record to 10-5 while George Mason dropped to 7-8.

Sophomore All-America attack Sheehan Stanwick led the Hoyas by scoring five goals on the day, upping her team-high goal total to 47. She added an assist giving her 23 for the year, also a team high.

The game was the second straight two-goal Georgetown victory, neither of which would have been possible without a balanced attack. Stanwick paced the Hoyas with six points, but five other teammates scored goals. Also, the Hoya defense stepped up their game in the second half, keeping George Mason from easy scoring opportunities and complimenting the play of sophomore goalie Bowen Holden.

The first half of the game was evenly played, with the lead changing hands three times as the Patriots fought their way to a 6-5 halftime lead. Junior attack Jordan Keating scored at 7:18 to give the Hoyas a 5-4 lead, but it would be the last time Georgetown would score in the first half.

Neither team would score again until George Mason notched two goals in the final minute of the period. Goals at with 41 and 12 seconds left in the period put the Patriots up on top and sent Georgetown reeling into halftime.

It was, however, a 6-0 run in the second period that propelled the Hoyas to their third straight win to close out the regular season. The run was fueled by a consistent, balanced attack that repeatedly hammered away at the tiring George Mason defense. Down 9-6 after George Mason scored a goal with 15:44 to go in the game, Georgetown went on to score six goals over the next 11 minutes to turn the three goal deficit into a three-goal lead.

Freshman attack Erin Elbe started the run with an unassisted goal at 15:15, followed by sophomore All-America attack Sheehan Stanwick’s fourth goal on the day that brought the Hoyas within one at 9-8. Jordan Keating notched her second goal on the day at 10:52 to tie the game up for the final time.

Stanwick scored her fifth and final goal on the day two minutes later to give the Hoyas the lead for good. The last goal came on the next Georgetown score, at 5:17 by Susan Stewart.

The score was the second goal on the day by the junior midfielder, proving to be the game-winner. This marks not only the second straight two-goal performance by Stewart, but is also the second straight game in which she has scored the win-sealing goal victory for Georgetown.

Sophomore defense Reagan Raneri finished off the Georgetown run with a score at 4:27 to widen the Hoya lead to 12-9. The only other score would be a last second goal by Patriot attack Cara McFadden, one of her three goals on the day to go along with a team-record four assists. But this goal was too little, too late for George ason.

Holden had 11 saves on the day, giving up 10 goals, but her play in the second half was much better than in the first. Georgetown made mincemeat out of the George Mason goalie, scoring 12 goals on 27 shots.

This game was the final regular season contest of the year for Georgetown, but the Hoyas should be invited to the NCAA Tournament, which begins Wednesday.

The Hoyas’ solid play this year combined with their 10-5 record and No. 8 ranking should propel them to a seeding in the top half of the 16-team draw.