Hoyas Warm Up for GMU

Hoyas Warm Up for GMU

By Dan Ryan Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s and women’s track and field teams traveled separately last weekend, as both prepared for the upcoming meet at George Mason next weekend in Fairfax, Va.

The men, who traveled to Annapolis, Md., took second place behind the host, Navy, while defeating Virginia Commonwealth and LaSalle.

The women’s squad participated in the Pepsi Indoor Invitational in Blacksburg, Va., Friday and Saturday where the results were based on individual performances rather than team scoring.

Head Coach Frank Gagliano said before the weekend that he saw the men’s meet as an opportunity to send the entire team to compete against one of the top squads in the country. The Hoyas, however, were dominated in the field events, which enabled Navy to score 16 points higher than Georgetown’s 193.

Junior weight-thrower Sean Flynn and senior long jumper France Davis were the only two Hoyas able to take a first place in the field events – the other five gold medals went to Navy. Flynn threw for 60 feet 6 inches, while Davis won with a 23-foot 2-inch leap.

The Hoyas’ 3,000-meter horses took the top three spots in that event, as sophomore Matt Dunn crossed the tape first, with a time of 8:17.96, and sophomore Corey Smith followed close behind followed by senior John Oliver.

Georgetown’s top 800-meter runners, seniors Matt Kalwinsky and Ky Adderly, took first and second places with respective times of 1:53.95 and 1:53.97.

Other individual first places came courtesy of Isidro Pimental, who won the 1000-meter run in 2:27.2, and Jeff Reinhart, who was clocked at 1:04.20 to win the 500-meter dash.

Both the distance medley relay and the mile relay blew the field away with times of 9:55.30 and 3:17.75, respectively.

Among a very talented batch of athletes at the Pepsi Indoor Invitational, the Georgetown women put forth a number of solid efforts on Friday and Saturday.

Katrina deBoer took the top individual finish for the Hoyas in the one mile run. Her time of 4:53.05 was good enough for fourth place. DeBoer also ran in the distance medley relay, finishing the 1,200 meter leg with a 3:28.5 split.

Lisa Roder anchored the distance medley relay with a 5:55.8 one-mile split, and Voneka Bennet ran a 56.8 400-meter split.

The Hoyas took sixth-place finishes in both the one-mile and two-mile relays, with respective times of 3:48.72 and 9:25.36.

Roder was one of three Hoyas to record a tenth-place finish. She took tenth in the 3,000-meter run, as did Sasha Spencer in the 400-meter dash and Nickay Penado in the 800-meter run.