Hoyas Trip Up Tribe

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown named Laurie Carroll new head coach of the field hockey team. The decision, announced in a statement released yesterday by Georgetown Athletic Director Joseph C. Lang, fills the absence left by former Head Coach Kim Simons, who decided earlier this year to coach women’s lacrosse full time.

Carroll comes to Georgetown after three seasons at American University, the last two ending with 13-7 records for the Eagles. This season, Carroll’s American squad won nine of its last 11 games and was ranked as high as 12th in the nation.

A Hanover, Mass., native, Carroll is a graduate of University of aine, with a degree in journalism/advertising. Carroll lettered all four years at Maine and was a captain during her senior year, in which the Black Bears finished with a top-20 ranking and an Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference championship.

Carroll was an assistant for the Black Bears during the two years after graduating before becoming an assistant for Yale for two seasons. In 1991 and 1992, Carroll moved back to an assistant position at Maine and in 1993 was an assistant at Ohio State.

Carroll’s final stop as an assistant was at James Madison in 1994 and 1995, when she helped the Dukes to an NCAA Championship in 1994 and a Colonial Athletic Association title and NCAA Final Four in 1995.

Carroll takes the helm of a Georgetown team that was 7-8 last season under Simons. Two seasons ago, Simons led Georgetown to a 12-5 record and one of the school’s best seasons ever.

Along with the announcement of Carroll’s hiring, Georgetown named Karen Zarchin an assistant for the team. Zarchin, an Olney, Md., native and former high school All-Metro field hockey player, follows Carroll to Georgetown from American. Zarchin is a 1998 graduate of James Madison, where she was part of the 1995 NCAA championship team and the 1995 and 1997 CAA title teams.