The Georgetown football team proved on Saturday that both sides of the ball must execute in order to win.

The Hoya defense was on its game, forcing six turnovers, recovering four fumbles and returning two interceptions for touchdowns. But the special teams and the offense of Georgetown made mistakes and failed to perform, as the Hoyas lost to the Bucknell Bison, 35-19.

“We lost two out three aspects of the game,” Head Coach Bob Benson said. “That’s why we lost today.”

For the Hoyas (1-4, 0-3 Patriot), a quick lead gave them some early breathing room against the quick-striking Bucknell offense.

After punting to the Bison following the Hoyas’ first drive, the Georgetown defense got its break. Bison senior quarterback Daris Wilson pitched the ball too low to sophomore running back Peter Kaufman. The Hoyas recovered the resulting fumble at the Bucknell two-yard line.

From there, it took only two plays for Georgetown freshman running back Emir Davis to plunge into the end zone for a one-yard score and his first collegiate touchdown.

Georgetown’s 7-0 lead seemed secure with the Hoya defense controlling the line of scrimmage.

The Bucknell defense overpowered the Georgetown offense, who lost the battle of field position, giving the ball back to Bucknell at the Georgetown 45-yard line. The triple option worked reliably for one of the only times in the afternoon as Bucknell moved down Harbin Field for a score, capped by a 10-yard touchdown pass to senior fullback Frank Lazio to knot the score at 7-7.

After another sequence of punts that pervaded the second quarter, Bucknell mounted a 12-play, 62-yard drive that resulted in third and goal at the Georgetown two-yard line. Bucknell called a play-action pass to the left, but Wilson’s throw into the end zone was picked off at the one-yard line by freshman defensive back att Barbiasz and returned 99 yards for a touchdown. The touchdown – the longest interception return in Georgetown and Patriot League history – gave the Hoyas a 13-7 lead and earned Barbiasz the Patriot League football rookie of the week honors.

The ensuing kickoff quickly erased Georgetown’s momentum. Fielding the kickoff at the three-yard line, Bucknell junior Dante Ross ran through the wedge untouched for a 97-yard touchdown. With Georgetown junior Michael Gillman missing the previous extra point, a successful point-after try by the Bison gave them a one-point lead at the half.

Coming out of intermission, the score became 21-13 before either offense could take the field. Ross again fielded Georgetown’s kickoff and ran it in 85 yards for six points, becoming the first player in Patriot League history to return two kicks for touchdowns in not only a game, but an entire season.

The third quarter proved to be a microcosm of Georgetown’s season. After the Bucknell touchdown, the Hoya offense punted the ball back to the Bison offense. The resilient defense blocked Bucknell’s field goal attempt, giving way to the offense, which responded by going three-and-out.

The defense again answered the call, forcing a fumble on the next play, which was recovered by sophomore linebacker Chris Paulus. But the excellent field position again ended in a punt.

With less than two minutes remaining in the third quarter, the Hoya defense assumed the role of offense for the second time in the game. On only the second play of the Bucknell drive, junior strong safety Maurice Banks intercepted Daris’s pass at the Bison 11-yard line and returned it for the equalizer.

“Basically, we know that’s what they usually do,” Banks said. “I sat on [the pattern]. I was reading the number two receiver. We’ve been practicing that all week.”

The touchdown made the score 21-19, necessitating a two-point conversion attempt by the Hoyas. Again, the offense faltered, as sophomore quarterback Keith Allan’s pass fell incomplete in the end zone, leaving Georgetown with a two-point deficit.

The strong play of the defense was finally brought down to reality as the dormant Bucknell option was brought to life in the fourth quarter. During a taxing 14-play drive, the overworked Hoya defense finally broke down and the Bison went on to score the go-ahead touchdown, making the score 28-19.

After the Georgetown offense surrendered the ball at its own 26-yard line, Wilson proved why he is considered the fastest player in the Patriot League with a 20-yard scramble to make the game’s final score 35-19.

The loss brought more questions about the anemic Hoya offense, which ranks 115th out of 119 teams in Division I-AA.

“It hasn’t been one thing,” sophomore quarterback Keith Allan said. “For some reason, we can’t finish. It’s frustrating . frustrating for the defense. They did everything they were asked to do. We didn’t.”

Georgetown looks to rectify its offensive issues on Saturday at Harbin Field. In their homecoming game, the Hoyas face VMI at 2 p.m.