With the Big East tournament looming, the Hoyas came one step closer to securing a spot in the postseason with a 1-1 tie with the No. 12 Boston College Eagles Saturday afternoon.

The Hoyas (8-7-1, 4-4-1 Big East) scored the equalizer with only 24 seconds remaining, sending the game into overtime. Despite numerous opportunities in the two extra periods, the Hoyas could not net another goal and had to settle for a tie with the Eagles (10-3-1, 6-3-1 Big East).

“We deserved to win,” Hoyas’ Head Coach Keith Tabatznik said. “Something was coming all along. Our backs were against the wall after going down a goal, but we held the ball for too long, clogging up the attacks . But the one point is huge.”

The Hoyas started attacking from the onset. Their first opportunity came within the first 20 seconds, which resulted in a corner and a clearance by the Eagles.

But it was one of the very few attacks Georgetown had in the initial moments of the half, and from then on, the Eagles pressed forward.

Georgetown’s passing was not up to standard, and they had problems in keeping possession, especially in the midfield.

The Eagles’ first offensive move came in the 12th minute when freshman forward Charlie Davies dribbled the ball into the Hoyas’ box, but Georgetown’s defense denied him.

The Hoyas had a good opportunity in the 16th minute, but junior midfielder Danny McAnally headed a corner kick over the goal. Boston College immediately hit back through sophomore defender Richard Gavilanes as he crossed over to freshman midfielder Johann Helgason, but he too was unable to connect.

After the initial skirmishes, both teams settled down. Georgetown’s best opportunity came in the 44th minute, when a throw in by senior defender Dan Gargan fell to junior defender Dan Pydo, who failed to capitalize.

The first half ended with the score at 0-0, and it seemed as if it would stay the same with the poor quality of attacking and finishing. Both teams had numerous chances, but in the end the 0-0 score reflected the balance of the first half. Boston College came out in the second half looking more aggressive than the Hoyas, and in the 49th minute a careless foul by senior forward Trevor Goodrich handed the Eagles a free kick.

This led to a corner, and the Eagles had a golden chance to break the deadlock, but freshman defender Sean Levitt headed the ball over the net.

As the minutes passed, both teams traded frequent attacks, but still no one could score.

So when the Eagles went ahead in the 72nd minute, it was not surprising that they did not score the point.

On a Boston College corner kick, the Hoyas were unable to clear the ball, and in the confusion in front of the post, the Hoyas lost control and scored an own-goal when the ball trickled over the line.

The goal had a tonic effect on the Hoyas, but Georgetown missed numerous opportunities as they failed to take advantage of corners, free kicks and crosses.

With just three minutes left, Davies was issued a yellow card for disrupting play and the tension on the field mounted. Immediately afterward, a careless foul by the Hoyas handed the Eagles a free kick, but the resulting kick went well over the goal.

With 30 seconds on the clock, Georgetown’s fifth Big East loss of the season looked inevitable.

The Hoya pressure finally paid off, however, as senior defender Jeff Curtin, assisted ably by sophomore midfielder Trevor Goodrich, equalized with 24 seconds left on the clock.

The resulting overtime periods saw Georgetown clearly dominating as the Eagles looked deflated after conceding the last-minute goal. But as in regulation, the Hoyas could not capitalize on their chances, and the game ended deadlocked at 1-1.

“The goal was a huge relief. We were on our heels after going behind, and we pushed all the way, never giving up,” Curtin said. “But I do feel we should have won. I especially should have scored in the second half of over time, but unfortunately it was not to be.”

The Hoyas look to find their offensive footing this afternoon when they take on the Navy Midshipmen in a non-conference matchup. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. on North Kehoe Field.