Hoyas Suffer Through Difficult Weekend

By Sean Gormley Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s tennis team dropped three matches this past week, all by 6-1 margins, but was rained out on Saturday. This drops their record to 3-16. With its Sunday match also cancelled, the women’s team finished the weekend with one loss, dropping its record to 7-10.

On March 22 the men hosted cross-town rival American. The Eagles started off by sweeping the doubles matches and went on to win singles matches one through six. At No. 6 singles, junior Dave Boyer came away with the only Hoyas point, winning in a solid, come-from-behind effort, 0-6, 6-1, 6-1.

On Friday, the men hosted Hampton. Senior Justin Hom came away with the only point, winning 6-3, 7-5 at No. 6 singles. Hampton swept the doubles matches, although senior Justin Berman and freshman Nick Sklavounos played one of their better matches of the year, managing to only lose 8-6. They also both played solidly in singles, losing 6-0, 4-6, 6-2 and 6-4, 7-6 (7-5), respectively.

After their rainout on Saturday, the men came out roaring against Bloomsburg, but faded down the stretch, losing to the Division II Huskies. Hom and sophomore Chris Thompson combined to pull out a 8-6 doubles win, but they got no support in singles, and Bloomsburg took the doubles point. In singles, junior Beau Brewer won in straight sets, 6-0, 6-3.

The women only played one match last week, having had their Sunday match against Bloomsburg cancelled due to inclement weather and “travel complications.” On Sunday, the women took on Penn, only to lose 9-0 to a very competitive, nationally ranked Penn. Despite being swept in all nine matches, the Hoyas battled hard and were close in many matches.

No. 2 sophomore Megan Crotty fought hard in the first set, but lost a heartbreaker, 7-6 (10-8). A downtrodden Crotty then lost the second set 6-1. No. 4 senior captain Erin Kamemoto also came up with a valiant effort, but dropped her match 7-6 (7-5), 7-5.

The women travel to Mt. St. Mary’s today, hoping to improve their 7-10 record. The men have Easter weekend off.