Hoyas Struggle, Overcome Leopards

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Senior forward Rebekkah Brunson scored a game-high 25 points against Lafayette. The team won its second game of the season 72-58 on Sunday.

After an upset win against George Washington University on Friday night, the Georgetown women’s basketball team was back in action Sunday afternoon. The team that crashed the boards and outshot its opponents strained at times to overcome Lafayette, although in the end the Hoyas came out on top, 72-58.

Georgetown plays in a string of four away games before returning to campus on Thursday, Dec.4. The second of these away games took place on Sunday, when the team traveled north to Easton, Pa. to the Kirby Sports Center, where Lafayette played host at its season opener. The team has struggled in recent years, and although it has some strong players, the Leopards were selected to finish at the bottom of the list of eight teams in the Patriot League. After overcoming a difficult opponent in George Washington, Lafayette was a welcome diversion for the Hoyas. Yet while the team led in the double digits for much of the game, the Hoyas were often challenged by the scrappy Leopards.

After five minutes, the two teams both had eight points, but soon after Georgetown flexed its muscles and pushed aside the less talented Lafayette squad. With 6:37 left in the first half, the Hoyas had opened the lead to 10 points, 30-20. In the waning minutes of the half, Georgetown bumped up the margin to 17 points, 40-23, hoping to put its host away before the first half was over. In the last three minutes of the half, the Hoyas committed a slew of turnovers that allowed the Leopards to claw their way back into the game, finishing eight points behind their guests when the first half buzzer sounded. At the end, Georgetown was still in the lead 40-32.

Lafayette, although on the losing side, still shot a fiery 55.0 percent, going 11-for-20 from the floor, but could not match the 11 field goals from its opponent. Georgetown was also helped out by 12 free throws to Lafayette’s eight.

Georgetown remained in control throughout the second half, but struggled in the beginning. The Hoyas were held scoreless for the last few minutes of the first half and they could not add on to their tally for the first few minutes of the second half. This allowed the Leopards to make it to within three points after a three-point play by senior forward Colleen Fitzpatrick. Georgetown, struggling to grab rebounds all throughout the game, finally made its way back to the hoop and slowly distanced itself from its competition again. Eight minutes into the half, the Hoyas had brought the team’s double-digit lead back, 43-53. The team then coasted until the game’s finish, winning by a 14-point margin.

Senior forward Rebekkah Brunson gave another stellar performance, leading the team with a game-high 25 points. She narrowly missed another double-double, grabbing only nine rebounds after her career-high performance at George Washington. Senior guard Sarah Jenkins was the only other Hoya to reach the double-digits, putting up 10 points. Lisicky, only hitting one three-pointer after a stellar game from the backcourt on Friday, chipped in nine points.

On the other side, Lafayette was propped up by the efforts of Fitzpatrick, who recorded a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. Sophomore Katie Kokolus also helped out with 10 points.

In a very physical game, the Hoyas had 22 fouls to the Leopard’s 20. Two players, Georgetown senior forward Varda Tamoulianis and sophomore forward Ashley MacLelland, had five apiece. Hoya sophomore forward Carmen Bruce, along with two other players from Lafayette, each had four fouls.

Georgetown faces George Mason on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. at the Patriot Center. The Patriots were selected to finish third in the Colonial Athletic Association this season and will be led by senior guard Jen Derevjanik, an All-CAA First Team choice at the end of last season and will return four starters from last year’s team, which finished 14-12. It will be the season opener for George Mason, the third consecutive time that Georgetown will face an opponent at its home court for its season opener.