Hoyas’ Streaks Continue

Women Down GW To Improve to 10-9

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s tennis team scraped together just enough wins to land their sixth victory in a row, defeating George Washington 5-4 and catapulting their record (10-9) over the .500 barrier for the first time this season.

With the match knotted at four wins each, the outcome of the contest came down to the No. 1 doubles match between Georgetown’s senior Lucky Ravindra and sophomore Caroline Marshall and George Washington’s Tracy Wei and Sarine Weingarien. Ravindra and Marshall managed to withstand the pressure and come away with an 8-5 win that gave the Hoyas’ the match.

Seniors Sarada Ravindra and Missy Mendes also won at No. 2 doubles for the fifth consecutive time as partners, but the No. 3 doubles combo of freshmen Hadley Muckerman and Kim Wattrick could not seal the victory for the Hoyas and were bageled 8-0.

Neither team could gain the upper hand in the match after the singles, with each team coming away with three wins. The Hoyas were strong at the top, as the Ravindra sisters swept the top two slots. Lucky Ravindra won easily in straight sets at the top spot, while sister Sarada fought her way to a grueling three-set victory in a pivotal match.

Missy Mendes also won in three sets to give the Hoyas a win at No. 3 singles.

Marshall and freshman Sarah White both dropped straight set decisions at the No. 3 and No. 6 slots, respectively.

At No. 5 singles, Lauren Mendes won the first set 7-5 but fizzled from there and dropped the final set 6-1 in the third three-set singles match of the day.

The Hoyas will look to make it seven in a row in the month of April this afternoon when they play host to Mt. St. Mary’s at 3 p.m. on McDonough Courts.