Hoyas Stomp on Stags

GU Exacts Revenge for 1998 Defeat

By Sean Gormley Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown football team dominated Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference rival Fairfield for three quarters of the game and held off the Stags in the final period, winning 21-14.

The victory, before a vocal home crowd of nearly 2,500 fans, was sweet revenge after last year’s Fairfield loss that kept the Hoyas from running the table in the MAAC.

The game has no impact on the MAAC race, as Fairfield is ineligible this year due to financial-aid violations resulting in sanctions. However, it showed that Georgetown is now the team to beat in the conference.

The Hoyas are undefeated in MAAC play at 4-0, with an overall record of 7-1. The loss was the Stags second of the season, the first being a one-point loss at the hands of Holy Cross.

Saturday’s victory came as the result of the best team effort by Georgetown so far this year, a combination of strong play on both sides of the ball. The defense held the Stags to their lowest point total on the season, while the rushing attack gained almost 100 yards more than Fairfield has given up on average.

Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson had nothing but praise for both of his units.

“It was a great job by the defense. We did a good job of mixing things up and we made some plays.the best defensive game we’ve played here,” Benson said. “We did a fantastic job running the football and controlling the clock.”

That fantastic job netted the Hoyas 128 yards on the ground, an amazing total against a Stag defense that entered the game leading the nation in rushing yardage allowed — just 46.3 rushing yards per game.

“We have six senior offensive lineman and a senior tailback. We are going to run the ball,” Benson said.

Senior tailback Rob Belli, who led the Hoyas with 97 rushing yards, credited the offensive line for the success.

“Our offensive line was unbelievable today, the best they’d played all year,” Belli said. “I think anyone back there could get the yards running the ball the way the offensive line is playing.”

While the rushing game was chugging away on the ground, running the ball 45 times, senior quarterback J.J. Mont was efficient under center despite not having one of his better games on the season. ont completed 10 of 19 passes for 142 yards and two touchdowns.

One of Mont’s mistakes was costly, however, as his second interception resulted in Fairfield’s second touchdown on the day.

“We got a little scared when we threw that pick, but we tried to stay focused and stay positive the entire time,” Belli said. “We just kept plugging away.”

That pick came with 11:58 left in the game and Georgetown sporting a 21-7 lead, giving Fairfield the ball on the Hoyas’ own 16-yard line. Two minutes later, Stag tight end Jason Cowley jumped on a loose ball in the end zone for a Fairfield touchdown, a play reminiscent of the outlawed fumble-roosky. This controversial touchdown cut the Hoya lead to seven points and had visions of Davidson dancing in Georgetown heads.

This Georgetown team reacted much differently from the one that lost to Davidson two weeks ago, however, and history would not repeat itself with another fourth-quarter comeback loss for the Hoyas.

“We made some mistakes in the Davidson game of not running the ball enough, and you learn from that,” Benson said.

Senior linebacker Adam Krugman added, “Having the Davidson loss on our backs.put us in focus. The loss does hurt, but things that don’t kill you only make you stronger. We are stronger for it.”

All season long, Benson has reiterated the confidence he has in his players and the running game, and he showed that confidence on the final play of the game. Facing a fourth and three on the Fairfield 37 yard-line with 23 seconds left in the game, Benson elected to go for the first down.

“I wasn’t going to punt that ball. If we can’t get two yards, with our senior people up front, to end the game, I don’t know what I was going to do,” Benson said.

The call came in for a Belli rush up the middle, and he did just that, streaking right into one last hole created by an offensive line that had given its all. Belli slammed his way into a pair of Fairfield defenders and forced his way past the first down marker, possibly three of the longest yards he has had to earn all season long.

Those three smash-mouth yards sealed victory for the Hoyas – fitting in a physical game in which Georgetown players came out on top all game long, showing they are indeed a stronger team.

“It was a great win. The best win we’ve had here in years.Fairfield was probably the best team we had played in two years,” Benson said. “We dominated the game. We dominated the second half except for the interception. The turnover in the end made the game close.”

While the offense sealed the victory for the Hoyas, it was the defense that put Georgetown in position to win the game. Senior defensive end Paul Miller and Krugman anchored the run-stopping, with Miller notching two sacks and eight tackles, three for a loss, while Krugman had 0.5 sacks to go along with his team-leading nine tackles.

Miller was named the MAAC Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts, the third time a Georgetown defender has received the award, with both previous awards going to senior cornerback Jim Gallagher.

Although Miller’s performance was tremendous, the entire defense deserves recognition for its efforts.

“Today we put it together. Today it was our turn, we stepped it up and showed what the Hoya defense really is,” Krugman said. “The senior class guys have showed great leadership, especially with Paul Miller and Jim Gallagher coming out and helping the defense focus.”

Although the Stags actually racked up more total yardage than the Hoyas, it was the Hoya defense that came up with numerous stops on short third downs.

“It had nothing to do with Fairfield’s offense. The game plan that Coach came up with was impeccable,” Krugman said.

Georgetown is going to need another impeccable game plan next week against Duquesne, as the Dukes offense is virtually unstoppable, having scored 49 or more points three times so far this season.

According to Benson, “Duquesne will have the best offensive skill people we have seen.the receivers are faster, their quarterback can throw.” Krugman does not question the defense’s preparedness, however, adding that “we’ll be awake for a team like Duquesne. It’s our turn to show them what we’ve got.”

No matter how prepared Benson’s defense is, Saturday’s game will be for all the marbles in the conference. A win for Georgetown all but assures them of the MAAC championship, while a Duquesne victory would likely mean a split of the crown.