Hoyas Start Slow in Spring Season

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

After a stunning first-place finish at the Big East Championships in the fall, Georgetown’s golf team struggled in the first two competitions of the spring season, losing its first meet and finishing poorly in its first tournament.

The team opened spring play on March 12 by losing to Jacksonville at Ponte Verda Beach, Fla. The Hoyas fell to the Dolphins 7 1/2 to 4 1/2 in a meet played in Ryder Cup format.

Sophomores Andrew Mingle and David Knott teamed up to give Georgetown a 2-0 win, the Hoyas only sweep of the day. Junior captain Greg Koush and freshman Andreas Huber combined for a 1-1 contribution, as did senior Matt Finger and freshmen Cody Courbier and Tristan Lewis.

The Hoyas then headed to the 25-team Pepsi Intercollegiate Tournament at the Bradford Creek Golf Club in Greenville, N.C., hoping to overcome their loss. With a three-round aggregate total of 918, Georgetown finished 21st. Coastal Carolina took home the title with an aggregate score of 859.

Lewis and sophomore Dan Giraudo tied to lead Georgetown, with 54-hole 228 scores. Giraudo had Georgetown’s lowest round of the tournament, shooting a three-under-par 69 in the final day of competition.

Huber, the top finisher at the Big East Championships in the fall, contributed a round of 230 for the Hoyas, while Courbier turned in a 232 and Koush shot a 249.

The Hoyas will be depending on strong efforts all season from their freshmen, who led the team in the fall. Huber tied the previous conference championship record with his two-round 141 total, also taking home medal honors in the Hoya Invitational in September.

Lewis contributed with a medalist performance at the Xavier Invitational in October. Courbier showed a great deal of promise in the first three meets, before sitting out until the conference championships with a back injury.

Lewis had the lowest average score for the Hoyas for the fall season, shooting an average 73.6 for 11 rounds. Koush followed him with 75.3 for 13 rounds, while Huber averaged 75.8 for 13 rounds, Courbier averaged 76.5 for 6 rounds, and Finger shot an average 76.7 for 13.

The Hoyas compete next March 29-30 at the William and Mary Invitational at Kiskiak Golf Club in Williamsburg, Va.