Sophomore third baseman Sean Lamont was 0-for-15 going into Saturday’s double-header with the University of Pennsylvania (1-1). Then Lamont unleashed the high-scoring form of last year, going 4-for-9 with three home runs, six runs scored and seven RBI for a monster day at Pennsylvania for Georgetown (2-4).

The first game of the split saw the Hoyas take an 8-1 lead after just three innings, with sophomore Dan Godefroi launching a blast to start a four-run first inning and Lamont later adding his own three-run shot in the third. Junior shortstop Tom Elliott and freshman second baseman Andy Lentz both added doubles – two for Elliot, with Lentz’s frozen rope in the fifth bringing in his first RBI as a Hoya.

All of this was part of an offensive explosion for the Hoyas, who scored their highest run total of the season with the 14-3 win, while recording 13 hits and eight walks. Even more astounding was that eight of the 13 hits went for extra-bases, including six doubles. Furthermore, the offense was spread evenly across the lineup, with nine different Georgetown players scoring runs. Redshirt sophomore first baseman Dan Capeless continued to show his patience at the plate; a year after leading the Hoyas in walks, he drew three in the first game and was on base four times in five plate appearances, while scoring two runs.

Senior starting pitcher Jimmy Saris (1-1) threw a fantastic game, going six innings and only allowing one earned run while striking out six Quakers to earn his first win of the season. Saris led the Hoyas in wins last year with six. Junior pitcher Jack Bender closed the game for Georgetown, going three innings and striking out three in the Hoyas largest margin of victory so far this season.

The second game saw another close matchup, with the Hoyas losing 7-6 late in the game. Lamont had an even better game than the previous one, going 3-for-4 with three runs scored and four runs batted in, while smashing two more home runs. Senior co-captain Tommy Lee continued his consistency at the plate, recording another multi-hit game while scoring two runs. Lee now leads the team in runs scored, stolen bases, hits, batting average (.464) and on-base percentage (.500).

The Hoyas trailed 5-3 to the Quakers going into the top of the ninth. Lee singled and Lentz walked, putting the tying run on first base. The Hoyas did a double-steal, swiping second and third to put runners in scoring position with two outs.

Up came Lamont, having already homered once. The sophomore smashed a three-run homer, giving the Hoyas their first lead of the game and putting them in a position to win their second game in dramatic fashion.

But errors at the bottom of the ninth eventually cost the Hoyas the game. Freshman pitcher Will Harris entered the game and, after walking the lead-off batter, recorded two quick outs. With the tying run on third, Penn’s left fielder Tom Adri recorded his third hit of the day with an RBI single, tying the game at six apiece. Harris, under pressure, then threw two consecutive wild pitches, allowing the Quaker runner on second to score the game-clinching run and stealing a chance for the Hoyas to reach a .500 record on the season.

Junior pitcher Tim Adleman had a rough start, allowing four runs and six hits in two innings of work. However junior pitcher Alex Meyer, after a rough outing of his own last weekend, went six strong shutout innings, striking out three and putting the Hoyas in a position to win, but Harris was saddled with the loss.

It was the first two games of the season for Penn and the Hoyas will seek revenge this Wednesday when they face the same Penn team twice for the first two games of Rollins College Baseball Week in Florida.