Hoyas Split Pair of OT Thrillers

By Chris CarielloSpecial to The Hoya

Senior forward Dan Ryan’s sudden-death overtime goal propelled the Georgetown men’s soccer team over Howard University 3-2 in the consolation game of the D. C. College Cup and gave Georgetown its first victory of the 2001 campaign, after losing to American Univsersity on Saturday.

Ryan, who scored his goal in the 104th minute of play, capitalized on a fortuitous rebound and found the back of the net to end the Hoyas’ second consecutive overtime contest. The win, which leveled the Hoyas’ season record at 1-1, gave the Hoyas their second third-place finish in the D.C. College Cup.

The Hoyas tallied the first goal of the game in the 30th minute when freshman Kaiser Chowdhry converted a pass from fellow freshman Dan Gargan and pushed the ball past Howard goalkeeper Nigel Burgess. The Georgetown defense held strong for the remainder of the first half as the Hoyas took their one-goal lead into the break. However, just 23 seconds into the second half, Howard forward Brian Woodward scored a goal to tie the game at 1-1. The game remained tied until Chowdhry earned his second goal of the game gathering a pass from senior Nate Port, with Gargan once again factoring in the play with his second assist of the contest.

The Georgetown lead was short-lived as Woodward scored the equalizer for Howard, this time off an assist by goalkeeper Burgess. Woodward’s second goal of the game knotted the two teams once again, this time at two goals apiece. That 2-2 deadlock would last for the remainder of regulation play and into sudden-death overtime where Ryan gathered a rebound near the end of the first overtime period off the shot of freshmen Trevor Goodrich, who tallied the assist on the play.

The Hoyas, seemingly anxious to attack Howard’s net and score their first goal of the season, outshot Howard by a margin of 21-16. Georgetown’s 9-2 advantage in corner kicks was further evidence of the relentless attacking style employed by the Hoyas’ midfielders and forwards on Sunday. Burgess was forced to make seven saves on the day, while Georgetown keepers Tim Hogan and Brian O’Hagan combined to make four saves. The loss dropped Howard to 0-2 on the season.

Perhaps the most promising aspect of the Hoyas’ victory on Sunday is the play of Georgetown’s freshman class, namely Chowdhry, Gargan and Goodrich. The Howard match marked an auspicious beginning to the three young players’ collegiate careers as they combined for two goals and three assists. The play of these newcomers bodes well for the Hoya attack and their continued impact could be a very important part of a Hoya frontline that struggled at times last season.

On Saturday, Georgetown fell to American University because they lacked the firepower to muster a goal. The Hoyas’ defense as well as goalkeeper O’Hagan, who made seven saves, looked strong keeping the American attack at bay for most of the game. Georgetown had the first serious opportunity to break the scoreless tie early in the first sudden death overtime period, but freshman Kevin Sindelar’s shot went left of the goal and harmlessly out of bounds. American wasted no time bringing the ball down the right flank, and forward Matt Kopacka finished a cross in the 96th minute behind the Georgetown defense as he tapped the ball into an open net. American controlled the play for most of the game, outshooting the Hoyas 13-5. American avenged its loss in last year’s D.C. College Cup consolation game to Georgetown with its victory on Saturday and beat George Washington University in the championship game on Sunday to claim the 2001 crown.