You win some, you lose some.

It is supposed to be a reassuring statement that the good times will balance out with the bad. But for the Georgetown women’s soccer team, it has become more of a mandate. Every time the team begins to build up some momentum, it all turns back around and the team, despite improvement, is left standing still.

So it was over the weekend. In two crucial Big East matchups, Georgetown took on Providence and Connecticut, winning the opening game over the Friars 1-0 on Friday. It was the second straight win for the Hoyas, but a third victory was not to follow. On Sunday afternoon the Hoyas fell to the Huskies, 3-1.

So now, more than halfway through the 2004 season, the Hoyas are 5-5-0 and still looking to find their stride.

On Friday at Providence, coming off a shutout win over St. John’s the week before, Georgetown again had a hard time finding the back of the net. On 19 shots, the Hoyas could secure only one goal, an unassisted tally by junior midfielder Shara cNeill in the closing 10 minutes of the game.

In this match, however, the lone goal was enough to lift the Hoyas over the Friars, who struggled even more offensively, marking only six shots in the game, and only one on net.

For McNeill, the Hoyas’ points leader with 13, it was her fourth goal of the season. It was also the third shutout of the year for freshman keeper Jade Higgins, her second in Big East play.

Continuing the road trip, Georgetown traveled to Connecticut on Sunday afternoon to take on the Huskies. In contrast to the Providence game, the Hoyas got off to a quick offensive start, scoring less than five minutes into the game. On a free kick, freshman defender Karen Waskewich connected with junior midfielder Alexandra Hardy, who put the ball away with a diving header.

After the quick goal, both teams settled in, and the score remained 1-0 going into halftime.

Coming out of intermission, the Huskies were fired up, and just over a minute into the second period UConn tied the game with a goal by senior forward Jessica Gjertsen. Then, just 1:09 later, the Huskies went ahead on a goal by sophomore forward Niki Cross. The Hoyas regrouped and held the Huskies for the next 30 minutes. But UConn was not done scoring, as Gjertsen notched her second goal of the game at 79:32, icing the victory for the Huskies 3-1.

The Hoyas will begin a two-game homestand this Friday, playing host to Big East opponents Rutgers at 3 p.m. Georgetown faces Notre Dame at 1 p.m. Sunday. Both matches are on North Kehoe Field.