The Navy women’s volleyball team was having a great season before it came to Georgetown on Tuesday night.

The Hoyas ruined plans for another easy Navy victory, defeating the Midshipmen in straight games (30-16, 31-29, 30-17).

The Hoyas (9-6) started off well in the first game, overcoming Navy’s vaunted defense with well-placed hits. Georgetown ended the game with a .429 hitting percentage. Navy (10-3) could not even get into positive numbers and was held to -.091 with only three kills in the game.

Navy’s dismal performance in the first game sparked an attitude change in the team and the Midshipmen came out firing in the second game. They led throughout most of the game but they were never able to pull away from the Hoyas and that cost them in the end.

Georgetown began to close ground and two diving digs by junior outside hitter Ashley Lancaster helped the Hoyas close out the game, winning 31-29.

Georgetown displayed a mental toughness in the second game that has not always been present throughout the season.

“They were believing in themselves at key points and not playing scared,” Head Coach Li Liu said.

The women took that confidence into the third game and quickly gained the upper hand. They took the game and the match easily after winning the dogfight in the second game. The victory moved Georgetown’s record to 9-6 on the season.

Senior middle blocker Sara Albert had 10 kills and continued her blocking success with a match-high seven blocks for the evening. She had some help from one of her youngest team members, freshman outside hitter Patty Carroll. Carroll also had 10 blocks and 12 digs for a double-double.

Liu said she has been particularly impressed with the freshman’s play.

“She has been doing great. Not just [on Tuesday], but every game,” Liu said. “She’s had double digit digs in every game, and consistent passing. If she keeps working hard, she will become a really good player.”

Georgetown held the advantage in both team hitting percentage and team blocks with .297 and 10, respectively, compared to .011 and six for Navy.

Liu said she was happy with the win, especially the mentality of her team, but she still saw plenty of room for improvement. Georgetown had an alarming 17 serving errors on the match.

“That’s just giving them 17 points,” Liu said.

Serving and passing have been the weak points for the Hoyas this season. Those areas are going to be the main focus for the team as it prepares for Big East competition. Liu went with a few different lineups on Tuesday in an attempt to get everyone playing time and much-needed experience.

“Mentally they want to take that step. We just need to work on consistency with basic skills,” Liu said.

Georgetown will get its next opportunity to work on its game on Sunday against the Temple Owls at 1 p.m. in McDonough Gymnasium.