Hoyas Sing New Carroll

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

Last week, Athletic Director Joseph Lang introduced Laurie Carroll as the new Georgetown Head Field Hockey Coach. With the recent resignation of former Head Coach Kim Simons, who will now focus all of her attention on the women’s lacrosse team, Lang wasted little time in finding a worthy successor.

Carroll has been around the game of field hockey for most of her life, and her experience as both a player and coach could translate into success for the Hoyas, who finished this past season with a mark of 7-8.

“When I decided to step down as field hockey coach I wanted to make sure that the new coach would keep moving the program [forward],” said Simons, whose women’s lacrosse team is ranked ninth in the nation.

The past three years Carroll has been the head coach at American, where she guided the Eagles to a 43-18 record, ranking as high as No. 12 in the nation.

“[American] has always been well-coached,” Simons said.

Prior to her position at American, Carroll held assistant coach posts at Yale, Maine, Ohio State and James Madison. While at James adison, Carroll helped lead the Dukes to a NCAA Championship in 1994 and the NCAA Final Four in 1995. In addition, she has been an instructor for the USA Olympic Development Program since 1988.

Carroll, a native of Hanover, Mass., began her coaching career after graduating from the University of Maine in 1987, where she was a four-year letter winner and senior captain for the Black Bears. She helped lead Maine to an ECAC Championship and a consistent top-20 national ranking.

Carroll will also be bringing with her from American Assistant Coach Karen Zarchin. Zarchin graduated from James Madison in 1998 and spent the past season with Carroll at American. She will bring her winning experience from James Madison where she too was part of the 1994 NCAA Championship team.

Carroll said she is very excited about her move down Wisconsin Avenue from American to Georgetown.

“I think Georgetown offers a great combination of athletics and academics,” Carroll said. “Both elements are very well balanced, and it is a prestigious place to be.”

For now, Carroll’s immediate concerns include focusing on practice, competing in the spring season, and getting to know the players.

“I want to instill in the team the confidence that they can compete with anybody,” Carroll said. “We’re not going to focus on outcomes or national rankings. They will come on their own.”