Hoyas Shut Out by Nationally Ranked Friars

With just one week remaining in the season, the Georgetown field hockey team is closing out another disappointing campaign.

At times, the Hoyas (1-17, 1-4 Big East) have shown flashes of their potential and have competed with some of the best teams in the country. Most of the time, however, the disparity in talent has been evident, and it has enforced the belief that a great deal of work must still be done to get the program on a respectable level.

On Saturday, Georgetown traveled to Rhode Island to take on No. 20 Providence (7-9, 3-3), a middle-of-the-pack Big East team. Unfortunately for the Hoyas on this weekend, Providence showed the Blue and Gray just how large the gap is between the two programs.

After just 10 minutes, the Hoyas trailed 3-0 and showed no signs of being able to mount a comeback. The Friars scored in the first, seventh and ninth minutes of the half to take the commanding lead. The attack was led by junior midfielder Julie Ruggieri, who scored the first and third goals and assisted on the other.

The pace of the game slowed down for the remainder of the half, but Providence still managed to chip in two more goals prior to the halftime whistle. At the half, Providence held a 15-3 advantage in shots and dominated ball possession. Freshman goalie Clodagh Coghlan managed to make seven saves in the half, but there was nothing that she could do to keep the Friars off the score sheet.

Georgetown made some key adjustments at halftime and opened the second half on a much better note. The game was more evenly played and the Hoyas were able to generate some good looks on goal, but they were unable to capitalize on their opportunities.

On the contrary, Providence took advantage of its shots and was able to extend its lead to 6-0 when, 15 minutes into the half, senior midfielder Kerianne Murphy beat Coghlan to the left side. Providence would go on to score two more goals, credited to team leaders Adrienne Marois and Ashlyn Hudson.

arois ended the game with a goal and two assists, and Hudson finished with two goals. Senior goalie Rachel Chamberlain also contributed to the Friars’ cause with her third shutout of the season, resulting in an easy 8-0 victory for Providence.

For the Hoyas, Coghlan played the majority of the game, making nine saves, while fellow freshman Briana Pereira came in to play the final 12 minutes. Freshman forward Charlotte Tierney provided the biggest threats of the game for Georgetown as she got two shots on net.

The Hoyas return home this weekend for their final two games of the season when they play host to Big East rival Louisville on Saturday at 10 a.m. and Radford on Sunday at 11 a.m. The game on Sunday will be senior day as the Hoyas recognize the sole senior and co-captain, Kristen Volpe.”