Hoyas Shine At Raleigh Relays

Hoyas Shine At Raleigh Relays

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

Four Georgetown male and five female runners, as well as two men’s relays and one women’s relay qualified for postseason meets in individual competition at last weekend’s Raleigh Relays in North Carolina.

On the women’s side, seniors Carron Allen and Sasha Spencer, sophomore Tyrona Heath and freshmen Erin Sicher and Liz Churchville qualified for the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference meet, to be held in Princeton, N.J. in May.

Allen placed third in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.16, and Spencer followed right behind with a fifth-place time of 24.16. In the 800-meter run, Heath (2:10.74) and Sicher (2:11.53) were 10th and 13th, respectively, to qualify for the ECACs. Churchville qualified after coming in 15th place in the 5,000-meter race with a time of 17:07.82.

The Hoyas’ 4-x-400-meter relay team of senior Katrina de Boer, freshman Jamillah Bowman, junior Nickay Penado and sophomore Nekeshia Woods finished in fourth place with an ECAC-qualifying time of 3:42.43. The 1,600-meter sprint medley relay team of Spencer, Allen, Penado and de Boer came in first among collegians and second among all runners with a time of 3:49.21, third best in Georgetown history.

For the men, junior John Marquiss was the top performer, coming in fourth place overall, second among collegians, in the 400-meter hurdles with a time 51.70, qualifying him for the IC4As, in Princeton, N.J. Joining Marquiss with qualifying times in the 400-meter hurdles was freshman James Graham, who finished 10th with a time of 52.51.

Freshman Jovan Broderick and senior Chris Marchal each qualified for the IC4As as well. Broderick’s 14:28.77 in the 5,000-meter race took 19th place, while Marchal was 17th in the 10,000-meter race with a time of 30:50.48.

Georgetown’s 4-x-800-meter relay team of Graham, juniors Matt Dunn and Nick Reynolds and senior Colin Dunn took first place among collegians and second place overall with an IC4A-qualifying time of 7:32.51. The 4-x-400-meter relay team, comprised of sophomores Jeff Reinhardt, Hakim Johnson and Brian Halstead and senior Miguel Lambert, came in 10th place with an IC4A-qualifying time of 3:12.50.

This weekend, both the men’s and women’s teams travel back to North Carolina for the Duke Relays in Durham.