Hoyas Shake Off Winter Rust in First Few Events of Spring

With the thaw of winter’s last snow, the Georgetown men’s and women’s golf teams have taken to the links again for the spring 2008 season.

The Hoya women kicked off the spring season in February under Head Coach Patty Post, who led the team to five top-10 finishes during the fall season. The men participated in their first tournament of the year earlier this month, looking to build on two top-10 finishes in their closing tournaments of the fall.

The women opened with the Fighting Camel Classic, played in February at the Keith Hills Country Club in North Carolina. The tournament ended after only one round due to rain, and the Hoyas’ first-round team score of 325 put them in eighth place, 24 strokes behind the winning team, host Campbell University. Georgetown was led by junior Carly Hunt, who added to her two top-20 finishes in the fall by ending the tournament in a tie for 17th place with a 7-over score of 79.

The women traveled next to Florida for the NIU Springlake Invitational, played against Florida Gulf Coast University at the Springlake Golf Resort and Country Club. Junior Chelsea Curtis’ low second-round score gave her a total individual score of 155 and a fourth-place finish, just five strokes back from the tournament’s co-winners.

Curtis again led the way for the lady Hoyas in their third event of the season, the First Market Bank Intercollegiate tournament played in Williamsburg, Va. Curtis turned in rounds of 70 and 80, giving her a total score of 150 and a second-place finish. The team’s total of 76-over 652 placed them in ninth place, 20 strokes back from the winner, Marshall University. The Georgetown women hope to have a strong showing in their own tournament, the Hoya Invitational, to be played this weekend in Beallsville, Md.

The Georgetown men’s golf team has played in one event thus far in the spring season, the First Market Bank Intercollegiate tournament last week in Williamsburg, Va. The Hoyas were led by junior and captain Tim Hager, who captured one of his best finishes of the year, as he tied for 17th place with a two-round score of 4-over 146 after carding solid rounds of 74 and 72. Hager’s fellow junior Garrett Logan finished three strokes back from Hager, posting a first-round score of 76 and coming back on day two with an improved round of 73. Sophomore Vincenzo Salina came roaring back with a second round of even-par 71 after a day-one score of 8-over 79. Freshman Brandon Ellis rounded out the Georgetown foursome with rounds of 78 and 77.

Coach Thomas Hunter felt that the team’s performance in its first competitive round of the season was somewhat substandard: “Our opening round was moving along very well until the final hole. The 18th hole at the River Course is a famous par four that requires an accurate and long tee shot over water. We failed the test and squandered a sub-300 round and ended up with a very mediocre 303 team total for day one.”

Despite struggling at the tricky 18th during the first round, Georgetown came out strong on day two, improving its combined first-round score by 10 strokes. “Our closing round was sharp and clearly indicates the kind of golf we are capable of playing,” Hunter said. The Hoyas’ combined team score of 596 gave them a 10th place finish in the 19-team field, 27 strokes back from winner Francis Marion University.

Georgetown will hit the links next in the Lacrosse Homes Invitational that will be played this weekend in Graysonville, Md.