Things looked bleak for Georgetown Saturday night in Pittsburgh as junior Jimmy Saris toed the rubber for the second game of a doubleheader. The Hoyas’ pitchers had been roughed up in the first two games of the series against the Panthers, giving up a combined 26 runs on 34 hits in a 9-2 loss on Friday night and a 17-11 loss Saturday afternoon.

The first game of the doubleheader lasted five hours, and Head Coach Pete Wilk called Saturday “a day from hell,” but Saris managed to lock down Pittsburgh and earn a 7-4 win for Georgetown.

“I’m disappointed in the way we played in the first game,” Wilk said, “but I’m proud of the way we played in the second game. The guys could have easily packed it in, but they went out and got the win.”

Saris scattered seven hits over his six innings of work, giving up one earned run, and he left with the Hoyas up 4-2.

“Pittsburgh proved that they could hit fastballs, and our guys couldn’t get their off-speed pitches over the plate,” Wilk said. “In this league, you need to be able to command two pitches, and Jimmy was able to do that.”

Georgetown’s bullpen gave up a run in the bottom of the eighth, cutting the lead to one run, but the Hoyas responded in the ninth. Sophomore center fielder Tommy Lee started the inning when he was hit by a pitch, and sophomore second baseman Chip Malt and senior leftfielder Matt Harrigan each drew walks to load the bases with no outs. Senior catcher Matt Iannetta grounded into a fielder’s choice, and Lee and Malt scored on a throwing error. Freshman third baseman Erick Fernandez added a sacrifice fly to push the Hoyas’ lead to 7-3.

The three insurance runs proved vital as Pittsburgh managed to push across another run in the ninth to make the final 7-4. Senior Daniel Kennedy picked up his fourth save of the year, giving up two runs over two innings.

The win was particularly impressive given the Hoyas’ performance earlier in the day.

“[The first game of Saturday’s doubleheader] was easily our worst game of the year,” Wilk said. “We were atrocious in every way. We couldn’t have beaten a team the way we played.”

Georgetown, despite scoring in double digits for the first time in 12 games, lost 17-11. The Hoyas committed five errors in the field, and each of their four pitchers was tagged for at least three earned runs. After posting five runs in the fourth inning to take a 6-4 lead, Georgetown allowed Pittsburgh to go on a 13-0 run to grab control of the game. The game was only as close as the score indicates because the Hoyas scored five runs in the ninth inning.

Lee had a good day at the plate, going 2-for-3 with two RBIs and two runs scored before he was removed for a pinch hitter. Lee clubbed four hits and plated five runs overall in the three-game series.

Friday night, Georgetown ran into sophomore pitcher Nate Reed, who pitched a complete game three-hitter and struck out nine batters. The Hoyas held early leads at 1-0 in the first inning and 2-1 in the third inning, but a six-run fourth from the Panthers put the game out of reach given the way Reed was pitching on the day.

“I don’t like to lose, but sometimes you just get flat-out beat, and you have to tip your hat,” Wilk said. “They threw a good game at us.”

The Hoyas play George Mason today and have a doubleheader with Coppin State tomorrow before they take on a weekend series with Louisville.