Hoyas Record Falls With Loss To Pats

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s tennis team was defeated by George Mason University 5-2 yesterday, leaving the Hoyas winless in their last four matches.

The first Georgetown win since March 7 and the second since Oct. 16 seemed conceivable after the Hoyas took the first two matches. However, the Hoyas were unable to seize a victory in the remainder of the competition.

“We expected a good chance to win at home. They just didn’t play well today,” Head Coach Rich Bausch said.

A rather unexpected win for the Hoyas came in the No. 1 single’s competition. Sophomore Nick Sklavounos defeated the Patriot’s Jonas Furucrona (6-4, 6-0), who previously held an 8-0 career record against Georgetown.

“It was a huge win for Nick. We expected wins at the four, five and six positions, not the first, second and third,” Bausch said.

The only other point for Georgetown also came from Sklavounos, who teamed up with sophomore Andre Benjamin to take the doubles competition against Patriots’ Juan Luzardo and Kareem Sullivan, 8-4.

Freshman Marc Lohser lost a close match in the No. 2 singles to George Mason’s Alex Vettraino 6-4, 7-5. During the final four matches, the Patriots proved to be out of reach for Georgetown. Freshman Troy Crichlow, senior Beau Brewer and Benjamin struggled in the No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively, and sophomore Ken Jordan put up a strong fight against George Mason’s Andy Tran, losing 6-4, 5-7, 7-6.

The Hoyas, who are now 3-12 on the year, look for a tough match against Hampton on Tuesday, but still expect success against the competition they will face on the road to the Big East Championships April 20-23.