Hoyas Ready for Early Stages of Spring Season

Head Coach Gordie Ernst is quickly creating a nationally recognized tennis program at Georgetown.After a solid recruiting year, Ernst brought in a freshman class that included Charlie Caris, part of Georgetown’s first-ranked doubles team, along with senior Dave Tillem. That class also welcomed Victoria Sekely, who has played strong in Class A tournaments. Ernst also added sophomore transfer Lauren Greco, one of the top recruits in the nation, from the University of Miami.

These additions plus the experience of the older players have Georgetown poised for a strong spring. The women kicked off the spring season with the Hoyas’ first victory over an Ivy League school by beating Penn 5-2. Sekely and Greco didn’t disappoint, as both were straight set winners.

Ernst was pleased with their performances.

“Lauren [Greco] and Victoria [Sekely] led the girls to a big victory against the Ivies. They are saying this is our time,” he said.

Junior captain Alex Sebia battled through three tough sets before prevailing while sophomore Jacquie Harrison sealed the victory for the Hoyas with her three-set win. Ernst said he knew they won the match when they stepped on the court because Sebia and Harrison are the “two most competitive girls on the team. You want them on the court when the match is on the line.”

The only weak point for the women’s team this weekend was doubles, losing two of their three matches.

On the men’s side, the team was competing in their traditional spring warm up at the VCU 4+1

Invitational. The men went 2-1 on the weekend, beating Campbell 3-2, with Tillem showing his mental toughness in winning the match for the Hoyas 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, after a straight-sets wins by senior Will Lowell and the doubles tandem of sophomore Andrew Bruhn and junior transfer Bryan Miller. The Blue and Gray lost their following match to host VCU, but prevailed 3-2 against James Madison University, with Tillem and Carris winning in straight sets and Bruhn and Miller going undefeated in doubles on the weekend, which Ernst called the “highlight of the weekend.” With the win, the Hoyas earned their first win over JMU in three years.

The men play at Maryland next weekend while the women have the week off before heading to Rutgers on Feb. 7.”