The Hoyas were victorious over the Huskies in their 2008 Big East opener at Shirley Povich Field last Friday afternoon, winning 12-7, but that was just about where the good news ended that weekend. Georgetown fell in extra innings in its next two games to the Huskies on Saturday and Sunday by scores of 2-0 and 9-7.

Head Coach Pete Wilk remained optimistic about the young season despite the early series loss. “[We need to] keep playing hard – the season is young,” he said. “We need to pitch better than we have. Overall there are a couple of starters who aren’t doing it right now, and once they get their game in gear we’re going to be fine. We just need to keep playing hard, and things will turn around.”

In their first match up of the three-game series against UConn, Georgetown jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning. Senior Matt Harrigan led off the inning with a single to centerfield off of Husky junior right-handed pitcher Matt McDonald. Junior Kelly Muir followed with a double to the gap in right center to move Harrigan to third base before he scored on a wild pitch. After junior Sean Baumann walked, sophomore Chip Malt doubled to right center to score two more runs for the Hoyas to extend their lead to 3-0. Before the inning ended, Malt found his way from second to score, as he advanced to third on another wild pitch and later scored on an infield groundout to second.

The Hoyas eventually put the game out of reach from the Huskies, recording a monster seven-run third inning thanks in large part to a two-run blast by stand-out freshman Sean Lamont. Senior Matthew Maranges added a three-run homer himself, his first hit of the season, to help the cause. The final run of the inning was scored by Muir off a triple to center field and an eventual fielding error which brought him home.

The second game of this Big East showdown was dominated by tremendous pitching on both sides. Senior left-handed pitcher Mike Gaggioli tied a Georgetown single-game record by recording 13 strikeouts in nine innings of play. In the 10th inning, Husky Dale Brannon, who pinch hit for Brad Olt, got on base with a single and then advanced to second on a single by senior Gordon Stevens. Brannon eventually scored on a fielding error by Georgetown’s sophomore Dan Capeless. The Huskies recorded their second run when senior Pat Mahoney laced a single to right field, and the Hoyas could not recover in the bottom of the inning, losing 2-0.

In their final matchup of the three-game series the Hoyas lost a close one once again in extra innings. Finding themselves trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the first, Georgetown scored five runs to claim an early lead. The inning was highlighted by a two-run double from Capeless and a RBI-double from Muir. Freshman Erick Fernandez and Baumann also recorded run-scoring singles in the first.

The Huskies would surge back in the fourth, though, recording six runs of their own to reclaim the lead at 7-5. Capeless would respond with a two-run blast at the bottom of the inning to tie the game at seven apiece. The teams would then go seven scoreless innings until the Huskies eventually took the lead in the 11th inning thanks to runs scored by junior Dennis Accomando and senior Matt Karl.

“We’re playing better,” Wilk said. “I told the team that the team that makes the least amount of mistakes is going to the win the game. We made two big mistakes, if not more, and UConn made the plays and we didn’t. They battled their butts off, but UConn capitalized.”

The Hoyas are back in action at home today when they face off against George Washington at 3 p.m.