Ruthie Braunstein/The Hoya Men’s tennis player sophomore Mark Lohser won his singles match against Richmond on Saturday in three sets.

The men’s tennis team kicked off its spring last weekend with four losses at the Virginia Commonwealth University Invitational at Richmond, Va., as the Hoyas fell to James Madison, Radford, Richmond and host Virginia Commonwealth.

The men lost 5-0 to James Madison, dropping its four singles matches as well as its doubles match. At fourth singles junior, Ken Jordan faired the best of any Georgetown player, but still suffered a 7-5, 7-5 loss.

The team matched up against Radford Friday evening, faring only slightly better in a 4-1 loss. Georgetown’s lone win came in doubles as Jordan and sophomore Jay Brupbacher defeated Bartlo Oosthuizen and Ross Harvey, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5).

In singles, junior Nick Sklavanous played a tough match in the number one position, but lost in three sets, 0-6, 7-6, 5-4 (10-6) to Faycal Rhazali.

On Saturday evening, the men took on Richmond, losing 3-2. At first and second singles, Sklavanous and sophomore Marc Lohser won, but Richmond proved too strong for the rest of the Hoyas. Sklavanous defeated Niki Doll 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 and Lohser defeated David Donn, 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 5-3 (retired).

At third singles, freshman Dennis Cravedi was defeated in a decisive match in two tiebreakers, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (6-0). Nelson lost 6-3, 6-2 at number four and Benjamin and Crichlow in doubles, 6-4, 6-4.

Although the match against Radford and Richmond ended in defeat, Coach Rich Bausch was pleased that the men had put themselves in a position to win, especially with their solid singles play.

“The teams we played are a good measurement of the teams that we will have to play against [later this season] – Virginia Tech, Notre Dame and Miami, Big East Tennis Powers,” Bausch said.

The team capped off its weekend against No. 10 Virginia Commonwealth late Saturday night. The team lost 3-0, with the remaining two matches suspended.

Sklavanous was defeated 6-3, 6-4 by Daniel Casquero, Lohser 6-2, 6-3 by Ferdi Sanchez and Benjamin 6-3, 6-3 by Mattias Hoglund.

As they play again on Saturday, Feb. 3 at the Navy 4+1 Invitational in Severna Park, Md., the Hoyas will look to improve upon their recent matches.

Bausch expressed his expectations for the men’s team for the spring season, the ultimate goal being qualification for the Big East Championships on April 20.

“Between March 17 and April 14 we will be playing Big East teams in duel matches,” Bausch said. “These matches will determine if we qualify for the Big East Championships. We want to be one of the top six teams to play in Miami [for the championships].”

The women’s team opens its season this Friday against George Mason and will play Sunday against Maryland.

Related Links

Men’s Tennis Team Page

Women’s Tennis Team Page

Men’s Tennis Schedule

Women’s Tennis Schedule