The Georgetown volleyball team enters this weekend’s play with deserved confidence. Sitting atop the Division I District rankings, the Hoyas are off to their best season in years. The women’s squad has 14 victories in 17 matches, already matching last season’s win total in 29 matches. Strong play last weekend, when [Georgetown defeated Providence in five games on Saturday and Boston College in three games on Sunday, gave the Hoyas a 2-0 Big East record](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/hoya-volleyball-win-two-in-big-east/). Next up for Georgetown is a perennial powerhouse, Notre Dame. The Irish are 5-6, 2-0 in the Big East, and are listed fourth in the Division I rankings. In the preseason Big East poll, the Fighting Irish were picked to finish in first place by the league’s coaches. They defeated Seton Hall and Rutgers last weekend, both regarded by most as better teams than Providence and Boston College. “The preseason poll is purely a media-based list,” said Head Coach Jolene Nagel. “It is very difficult to say how teams are going to do.” Also undefeated in the Big East are Villanova and Connecticut. Villanova, like Georgetown, defeated both Providence and Boston College last weekend, giving them a 9-7 overall record and seven consecutive wins. Last weekend Connecticut defeated preseason Big East No. 2 Pittsburgh as well as West Virginia. Georgetown had the easier schedule last weekend, with the games against Providence and Boston College, but this weekend could be the truest test of the legitimacy of the Hoyas’ No. 1 District ranking. On Friday, the Hoyas face West Virginia, at 5:00 p.m. in McDonough Arena. Pittsburgh visits McDonough Arena on Saturday at 5:00 p.m. “Both are very tough matches, and we have to play well,” Nagel said. “Both teams are top contenders in the Big East Conference.” What’s the team’s strategy for the rest of the year? “To win as many matches [as we can], and take on match at a time. “We’re ready and excited.