Image Contributor
Senior attacker Brendan Cannon.

There was no question in the first few minutes of Tuesday’s contest who the better team was, as No. 5 Georgetown (6-2) took on Mount St. Mary’s (1-6). Georgetown played 40 players, and 10 Hoyas recorded goals in the contest as the deeper Georgetown scored early and often en route to a 14-7 victory at the Multi-Sport Facility.

“We have a lot of guys, and it’s tough to get them all in the game,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick said. “We managed to get them in, and that’s a good thing because a lot of guys put in a lot of time and effort Monday through Friday and never see the field.”

Georgetown wasted no time getting things started with sophomore attacker Craig Dowd scoring within the first minute off of an assist from freshman midfielder Max Seligmann. Only one minute later senior attacker Andrew Baird made a signature cut to the crease and received a pass from fellow senior attacker Brendan Cannon. With just Mount St. Mary’s goalkeeper T.C. DiBartolo to beat, Baird calmly put the ball into the back of the net to give the Hoyas a 2-0 lead.

The lead was 4-0 before the Hoyas showed any signs of mortality and had a shot stopped by Mount St. Mary’s. Baird made sure the Hoyas put their invincibility cloak back on, stealing the ball from a Mount defender on the ride before finding junior midfielder Cullen Molinari, who scored his first goal of the season, making it 5-0.

“Last year the game was 3-2 at halftime, and we reminded our guys of that,” Urick said. “This year we did what I think we should do, and what we are capable of doing. We jumped out a little bit and were able to get more guys in early.”

The lead would extend to 6-0 before the inexperienced Mount – 16 of its 32 players are freshmen – got on the board thanks to a goal by freshman midfielder Patrick Brown, who picked up a loose ball with no one around him and beat senior goalkeeper Miles Kass. The goal came from one of the few ground balls that did not go Georgetown’s way, as the Hoyas picked up 47 ground balls compared to 24 for the Mount.

The Georgetown lead ballooned to 8-1 with eight minutes left in the half after goals by Baird and Dowd, their second and third of the goals of the game respectively.

The Hoyas’ offensive prowess in the first half was primarily the result of senior midfielder and faceoff specialist Dan Vinson. Vinson, who has become the main person at the X for Georgetown, was a phenomenal 11-of-13 on faceoffs in the game.

“You saw against Mount St. Mary’s – it was like second nature to win it for him,” Kass said of Vinson.

The second half started with more of the same for the Hoyas, with Seligmann opening up the scoring with 11 minutes to play in the third quarter, bringing the Georgetown lead to 9-2. The Mount would return the favor moments later as freshman attacker Dan Mohr scored to bring the visitors to within six goals.

The Hoyas responded with a 3-0 run led by Baird and Cannon to put the game out of reach for good. Baird’s goal – his third of the game and career-high sixth point in the contest – increased the lead to 12-3.

“[Baird’s] a very heady player,” Urick said. “He’s more than just a goal scorer. He’s in the right place at the right time. He’s a good complement to Cannon and Dowd because he’ll get open and they’ll find him.”

Georgetown extended the lead to 14-5 following junior midfielder Stoddie Nibley’s first goal of the season. Nibley was the 10th Hoya to score a goal and the 14th to record a point in the contest. This has been a trend all season for the Hoyas as no player is in the nation’s top 20 in scoring, but the team is ranked ninth in scoring in the country.

“We have been getting contributions from a lot of different guys, and that’s a testament to the fact that guys step up,” Kass said.

Next up for Georgetown is a road trip to Fairfield, Conn., to take on the Fairfield Stags on Saturday at 2 p.m.