Hoyas Lose Three Matches

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

It was another rough weekend for the Georgetown men’s tennis team. They were defeated 5-2 by South Carolina State Saturday, lost 5-2 to American Sunday and again fell 5-2 to the University of aryland-Baltimore County Wednesday.

Playing host to South Carolina State at the McDonough Courts, Georgetown was unable to build upon its 1-0 lead after the doubles competition to gain the victory.

The Hoyas secured the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Senior captain Beau Brewer and freshman Marc Lohser won 8-6 at No. 1 doubles, and senior Dave Boyer and sophomore Ken Jordan won 8-4 at the No. 3 spot. Freshman Troy Crichlow added the Hoyas’ second and final point of the match at No. 3 singles with a 6-4, 7-5 victory.

On Sunday, Georgetown hosted cross-town rival American and again went down 5-2. American controlled most of the match. Georgetown’s Jordan won 6-4, 6-1 at No. 6 singles and sophomore Andre Benjamin added a 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 victory at No. 5 singles, but it was not enough.

It was a similar outcome on Wednesday when Georgetown traveled to the UMBC and lost 5-2. The Hoyas’ two wins came in the singles competition. Georgetown’s Crichlow was a 6-4, 6-3 winner at No. 3 singles and the Hoyas’ Benjamin won his second straight match 6-1, 7-5 at the No. 5 spot.

The three losses drop the men’s record to 3-17 on the year. Today, the men travel to the Richmond to face the Spiders in their next match.