After Greg Monroe, considered by many to be the No. 1 recruit of the high school Class of 2008, committed to Georgetown in October the day after Midnight Madness, recruiting authority Dave Telep said, “The pied piper has just been signed.”

Yesterday, another highly ranked prospect followed Monroe to the Hilltop: Hollis Thompson, a junior out of Loyola High School in Los Angeles, Calif., gave a verbal commitment to Georgetown. Thompson, the 11th best recruit in the Class of 2009 according to the Web site scout.com, is the first member of his class to commit to the Hoyas.

In October, Thompson told THE HOYA that he was impressed with Georgetown after watching the Midnight Madness festivities with onroe. As a 6-foot-6, 180-pound wing, Thompson is ranked the No. 2 small forward in his class by scout.com and was being recruited by basketball powers from across the nation – Arizona, Duke, Florida, North Carolina, UCLA and Stanford were all showing interest.

The commitment is the latest in a string of recruiting successes for Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III. Freshman guards Chris Wright and Austin Freeman were both McDonald’s All-Americans in high school, and the 2008 recruiting class has three other top 100 players who committed along with Monroe – shooting guard Jason Clark, center Henry Sims and power forward Chris Braswell.

“What I really liked about John Thompson was that he told me he doesn’t recruit positions, he recruits players,” Hollis Thompson said of the Hoyas’ coach, according to scout.com.

Despite losing the recruiting power of two assistant coaches, Sydney Johnson, now head coach at Princeton, and Kevin Broadus, now head coach at Binghamton University, John Thompson has made sure the cupboard will not be left bare when the Hoyas’ four senior co-captains graduate after this season.