After an important road win against Rutgers last weekend, Georgetown (15-6, 7-3 Big East) had the week off to prepare to play the West Virginia Mountaineers (14-7, 4-6).

The Mountaineers have a lineup of evenly distributed scorers, with only two players posting double-digit numbers per game. Senior forward Tyrone Sally (12.5 points and 4.1 rebounds per game) and junior guard Mike Gansey (11.0 points and 5.7 rebounds per game) lead the West Virginia attack.

The Mountaineers have a weak pair of 6-foot-11 centers in seniors D’Or Fisher and Kevin Pittsnogle, who combine for an average just 7.5 rebounds per game.

West Virginia has had a rollercoaster season that started with a bang. The Mountaineers began their campaign with wins over a pair of then-top-25 teams George Washington and N.C. State en route to a 10-0 record.

Things would go downhill from there, however, as the team lost six of its next seven games, including a 38-point thrashing from Villanova on Jan. 5.

The Mountaineers’ 4-6 conference record is not competitive enough at this point for the team to be in consideration for the NCAA tournament, but they have had their share of spoilers and remain on the bubble. Last Saturday West Virginia defeated No. 18 Pittsburgh, its third win over a top-25 team.

West Virginia’s most recent win came on Wednesday night when the Mountaineers beat the Providence Friars, who have yet to notch a victory in Big East play, by a score of 67-65. Sally came through down the stretch for the Mountaineers, scoring eight straight points with fewer than seven minutes to play, finishing with a 15-point total for the game. West Virginia still needs to pick up its level of play to earn an upset in D.C.

Although their record is only 4-3 on the road, the Mountaineers can be dangerous away from the Coliseum. West Virginia stunned both LSU and N.C. State on their home floors and will look to do the same to Georgetown tomorrow.

On the other side Georgetown has a much more balanced attack, led by three players averaging in double figures: junior forward Brandon Bowman (15.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per game), freshman forward Jeff Green (12.9 points and 7.1 rebounds per game) and junior guard Ashanti Cook (11.5 points per game and a 39.8 three-point percentage).

Cook and freshman guard Jonathon Wallace must shut down the ountaineers’ guards while Bowman and Green must cover Sally.

Every game from now until the end of the season will be tough conference competition. If Georgetown can limit its mistakes, this Saturday’s game should be a double-digit win.

Tip-off is at 4 p.m. at MCI Center.