The baseballs just couldn’t stay in the park last weekend.

Although all three games featured pivotal home runs from both teams, Georgetown (2-3) pulled away with two wins at Davidson (2-2), giving the Hoyas their first wins of the season.

“Anytime you go on the road, especially this early in the season, and can win is outstanding,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said.

Saturday’s game ended with a slam – a grand slam. Senior catcher Andrew Cleary blasted one over the left field fence in the ninth inning to give the Hoyas the 8-7 win on Saturday.

Senior second baseman Parker Brooks started the rally, reaching on a throwing error with one out. Sophomore left fielder Mark cLaughlin followed with a single, and after a pitching change, junior right fielder Tim Jones drew a walk, loading the bases for Cleary’s home run.

The game was bookended with home runs as Davidson junior second baseman Ronnie Shore led off the first with a solo homer, extending his hit streak to 13.

The Hoyas answered with a run in the second as Cleary scored on a double play, but the Wildcats pulled away in the third and fifth, tacking up three runs in each inning. Georgetown’s starting pitcher, senior righty Eddie Pena, was removed before the last out in the fifth after giving up seven runs on nine hits.

Georgetown closed in on Davidson with a run each in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings, but it was not until Cleary’s ninth-inning grand slam that the Hoyas reclaimed the lead. Cleary hit 2-for-5 on the game with four RBIs and two runs.

Freshman lefthander Michael Gaggioli, who entered in relief, earned his first career win at Georgetown for giving up no runs and one hit in 3.1 innings. Senior righthander Tom Braun then pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning to pick up his first save.

Davidson junior Jay Heafner, who had been playing at third base, gave up the grand slam, taking his first loss of the season.

A grand slam marked Sunday’s game, too, as Davidson junior catcher Alex Entrekin hit one out with the bases loaded and two outs in the third inning, giving the Wildcats a lead that they would not relinquish.

Georgetown had opened the scoring in the top of the third. Sophomore outfielder Derek deGrijs, who went 3-for-4 on the day, doubled to right field and scored on Brooks’ single. With Brooks on base, senior designated hitter Billy Quinn belted a home run to left field, setting the score at 3-0.

The Hoyas added two runs in the seventh inning, but they were not enough to overcome the Wildcats, who won the game 8-5. Sophomore Rob Wilson earned the win for Davidson with no walks and a career-high seven strikeouts in six innings. He also gave up seven hits and three runs.

For Georgetown, senior lefthander Travis Danysh took the loss after giving up seven runs, five walks and three hits in 3.2 innings.

The series-deciding game on Sunday turned into a slugfest. Even though the Wildcats belted four home runs, the Hoyas emerged as the winners in the 17-12 game thanks to a ten-run eighth inning.

Fifteen Hoyas appeared at the plate in the eighth, stringing together base hits and walks for a rally that lasted through four Wildcat pitchers. The offense worked as a well-oiled machine, getting 12 runners on base and ten of them back to home plate.

Senior utilityman Jim Supple’s early RBI double and junior shortstop Matthew Johnson’s RBI single prompted the first pitching change. McLaughlin’s two-run double was followed by two walks. An error during freshman infielder Matthew Bouchard’s RBI single set the table for three more singles, care of Supple, sophomore third baseman Joseph Graziano and Johnson. The Wildcats made another error on Johnson’s single, allowing Cleary to add another RBI single.

“Our offense is better than I thought it was,” Wilk said. “We seem to be pretty deep offensively. I’m very pleased with that.”

Georgetown outhit Davidson 19 to 14 on Sunday. Ten Hoyas got at least one hit or one run, and six Hoyas got at least two hits or two runs.

The defense of both teams also made an impact on the outcome. Davidson made three errors in the game. Georgetown had just one error on the series.

Senior lefthander Michael Halloran (1-1) picked up the win after pitching 2.1 scoreless innings. Junior righthander Stephen Burns started the game for Georgetown, giving up nine hits and five runs in 5.2 innings. Davidson junior Michael Kaufman took the loss after surrendering four earned runs in just one-third of the eighth inning. Georgetown and Davidson combined to use 12 pitchers in Sunday’s game.

“We’re playing pretty good baseball, outstanding defense, good hitting,” Wilk said. “I’m hoping that the pitching catches up. If not, it’s going to be a long year.”

Georgetown will play host to Lafayette for two games this weekend in the first home series of the season. First pitch is at noon on Saturday at Shirley Povich Field at Cabin John Park in Bethesda, Md.

“I feel good about it. We should be playing with a high level of confidence,” Wilk said.