Hoyas Hold Off Mountaineers

West Virginia turned up the heat, but Georgetown remained cool.

The Hoyas kept their composure as the clock ran down to pull off their third consecutive win, 71-65, on Saturday in McDonough Gymnasium.

“If this were one of games that we played earlier on when the kids didn’t have the confidence, they would’ve lost it,” Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. “Now with winning one, winning two, you’re starting to get more confidence, you’re feeling better about yourself.”

The women’s basketball team has stepped up its play for its longest winning streak this season, building confidence with each victory.

Senior guard Mary Lisicky’s return to top form has also provided a boost. She came off the bench for a team-high 19 points.

“Even with her coming off the bench, that is a huge spark coming off the bench,” Williams-Flournoy said.

Georgetown (9-12, 4-6) showed that despite its freshmen-heavy lineup, the team has steadily matured to keep itself alive in tough situations. West Virginia (12-8, 3-6) looked shakier down the homestretch, fouling out two starters and making turnovers on key plays.

“For this game, we were riding a high,” Lisicky said. “We overall stayed composed and kept going. We didn’t stop and we didn’t let if faze us.”

The Hoyas took control of the game with 12:03 left in the game and eventually opened their lead to eight points, 58-50. The ountaineers climbed back into the game behind 11 points from freshman center Olayinka Sanni to close the gap to one point, 66-65, with 1:39 remaining.

West Virginia’s bid to take the game fell apart a minute later when Georgetown junior forward Christine Whitt deflected the opposing point guard’s pass to give the hosts the ball. Whitt later blocked a three-point attempt from guard sophomore guard Kate Glusko to dash the Mountaineers’ last offensive play. Lisicky then sank four free throws in the final 30 seconds to put the game out of West Virginia’s reach.

“Something just clicked . in the Syracuse game,” Whitt said. “Everything just all went together against and it gave me a lot of confidence. It just kind of rolled over into this game.”

Georgetown has helped its chances by bulking up its offensive output, scoring at least 70 points in six of the last seven games. Apart from Lisicky’s 19 points, senior forward Varda Tamoulianis scored 15 points and senior guard Bethany LeSueur served up 14 points. Freshman guard Kristin Heidloff went 4-for-4 from the three-point line and ended with 13 points. Freshman forward Kieraah Marlow, usually the team’s leading scorer, was held to seven points, all from the free throw line. Marlow did, however, lead the game in rebounding with 12 boards.

“I felt that we have a different team after the two wins we ever had. We understand what it means to win. With the two wins, we had a different mindset,” Lisicky said.

West Virginia, in turn, hurt with the departure of its leading scorer, sophomore guard Meg Bulger, who left with three minutes to go in the game. She joined freshman guard Chakia Coles on the bench, both ending up with five fouls after much physical play on both sides. The Mountaineers eventually surrendered 20 points to the Hoyas from the free throw line.

Bulger still managed to put up 18 points before leaving. Senior guard Yolanda Page dished out 10 assists to keep the offense flowing for West Virginia. Sanni proved the toughest challenge for Georgetown, using her size and strength to muscle 21 points and 10 rebounds. Stronger post players have wreaked havoc against the Hoyas’ smaller lineup.

“The post players aren’t doing what they’re supposed to. We let [Sanni] just bowl us right down to the lane,” Williams-Flournoy said. “Varda is a finesse-type post player. She needs to use her quickness, but she hasn’t been doing that. So that’s why people have been able to pound us inside.”

The Mountaineers held the advantage through the first half, heading into halftime with a 35-31 margin. West Virginia then struggled with fouls and increased scoring from Georgetown, especially from Lisicky and Heidloff from outside. Although both teams shot roughly 45 percent, the Hoyas capitalized on their frequent trips to the charity stripe for the lasting edge.

Georgetown’s win streak, which has bumped it up to eighth place in the Big East standings, reaches a potential roadblock in a road trip to No. 6 Notre Dame (20-3, 8-2) next Saturday.