The Georgetown men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams combined for three victories this past weekend.

The men earned a pair of wins, beating Providence and Maine, but lost to Boston College. The women were also victorious over Providence, but suffered their first head-to-head loss of the season to Maine on Friday.

The men’s team began its weekend on Friday with a dual meet against Maine and Boston College. The men defeated Maine 154-85, but lost to Boston College 136-97. Junior Chris Lengle turned in a stellar performance, taking first place in three separate events. His wins in the 50-meter freestyle (22 minutes, 41 seconds) and the 100-meter freestyle (23.77) and his strong contribution to the 400 freestyle relay team, along with sophomores Bryan Evangelista and Jim McLaughlin and freshman Shodai Enters, helped set the standard for Georgetown’s performance.

The Georgetown 400-meter medley relay team, comprising Evangelista, junior Matt O’Connor, sophomore Richard Dennis and junior Will Miller, also took home a first-place finish with a time of 3:41.98. The only other first place finish by a Hoya came when Freshman Shodai Enters bested the competition in the 200-meter freestyle.

While the Hoyas failed to earn any first-place performances in the diving portion of the meet, freshman Michael Kizer took second place in both the three-meter and one-meter competitions (234.80 points and 240.35 points respectively).

“Going into the meet, we knew everything had to go perfectly [for us to win]. It didn’t,” Head Coach Bethany Bower said. However, Bower was pleased with how hard the team worked. “Everybody put in the 100 percent effort,” she said.

The men traveled to Providence on Saturday to take on the Friars. They turned in an impressive and decisive 147-87 victory. Georgetown swept the long distance 800-meter freestyle event, with cLaughlin (9:04.95), senior Brendan Daly (9:32.90) and junior Kevin Feder (9:36.73) finishing first, second and third respectively. Lengle again took the 100-meter freestyle (54.62) and also captured first in the 200-meter freestyle (1:59.39).

Other first-place finishers included Enters in the 50-meter free (25.32), Dennis in the 200-meter individual medley (2:20.16), Evangelista in the 200-meter fly (2:18.23) and McLaughlin in the 400-meter freestyle (4:23.56).

Georgetown divers also contributed to the win, with Kizer winning both events (146.40 and 230.40) and sophomore Brett Daggett close behind in third in both events (117.67 and 171.52).

Although the women experienced their first defeat of the season against Maine, freshman diver Julianna Bonilla’s score of 245.30 in the one-meter dive set a Georgetown school record. However, the score merited only second place in the event, indicative of the high caliber of competition. Freshman Kathryn Harrison took third in the same event, scoring 230.90. The pair also earned second and third places in the three-meter dive.

Sophomore Lauren Moynihan was a double winner for the Hoyas. She took first in both the 1,000-meter free with a time of 10:36.47 and the 500-meter free at 5:16.71. Junior Amanda Anderson finished third in the 500-meter free at 5:18.75.

“It was an outstanding performance, and all of the girls on the team really surprised me. I’m very happy with their performance despite the fact that we lost,” Bower said.

In the team’s victory over Providence, Moynihan again stood out, winning the 800-meter and 400-meter freestyle events. Other first-place finishers included sophomore Catherine Hayes in the 200-meter fly, sophomore Genna McKeel in the 200-meter breast and sophomore Francesca DiSilvio in the 200-meter backstroke.

The relay events also saw success for the Hoyas. They took second in both the 400-meter free and 400-meter medley.

The swimming teams will travel to take on Drexel at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 3, then return to home water on Sunday, Feb. 4, to challenge Delaware at McCarthy Natatorium in Yates Field House at 1 p.m. Sunday’s meet will be the last home meet for both teams and senior recognition day.

Related Links

Swimming Team Pages

Men’s Swimming Schedule

Women’s Swimming Schedule