Hoyas Finish in Sixth-Place at W&M Invite

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown golf team got back on track this week as it tied for sixth place with Radford at the Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate men’s golf tournament hosted by William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va., Monday and Tuesday. Due to inclement weather, the tournament was cut in half allowing Georgetown’s first day score of 298 to stand as their final. Temple University finished first out of 27 teams with an overall score of 293.

“We were pleased with the fact that we came out with a top-10 finish,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said.

The top Georgetown finisher was sophomore Tristan Lewis whose one-under-par score of 71 tied him for fifth place overall in the tournament. Sophomore Andreas Huber tied for 27th, finishing four strokes behind Lewis with a 75. Junior co-captain Dan Giraudo and sophomore Cody Courbier both shot 76s, tying them for 42nd, and senior co-captain Greg Koush had an 84.

“The bright spot of the tournament was that we played well enough to be within five of the leader after the first day, which was reminiscent of how we played a year ago,” Hunter said.

Hunter was also pleased that the Hoyas finished above top district teams Rutgers, Navy, St. John’s and Richmond. “It was a good, solid performance, the kind of playing we’re used to. When we finished the first day, we felt good about ourselves.”

“William & Mary was a better performance for us than East Carolina,” Hunter said. “We want to grow on that. We hope we are peaking when we get to the Big East tournament in April.”

The Hoyas have two more tournaments before Big East Championships, which will be held April 29 and 30 at the Warren Golf Course in South Bend, Ind. They are scheduled to travel to the Navy Spring Invitational April 8 and 9 and the Princeton Invitational April 21 and 22.