Hoyas Finish 11th at Navy Invitational

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

For the second tournament in a row, inclement weather marred the performance of the Georgetown golf team, reducing play to just one round. The Hoyas finished in 11th place out of 19 teams at the Navy Spring Invitational this past weekend with an aggregate score of 316, 17 shots behind the winner, Princeton University.

“We were disappointed because we did not play well. We had very difficult conditions to play. It’s a difficult golf course in terms of being very fast and elevations come as an obstacle on a mild day,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said.

Sophomores Tristan Lewis and Andreas Huber were the low scorers for the Hoyas, each shooting six-over-par 77s, which tied them for 24th place. Senior co-captain Greg Koush posted a 79, placing him 38th. Sophomore Cody Courbier, an extremely consistent player according to Hunter, finished in 68th place with a disappointing 12-over-par score of 83. Junior co-captain Dan Giraudo rounded out the Hoyas’ performance with a score of 85.

Despite a number of Hoya bogies early in the tournament, Georgetown put up a strong fight.

“The guys never gave up, which is a good sign. They all hung in there and made some birdies late in the round. So that’s a credit to their ability to withstand bad conditions as we move closer to the Big East Championships,” Hunter said.

With next weekend off, the Hoyas look to improve their “stroke savers” by sharpening their wedge play and putting as they prepare for the Princeton Invitational and Big East Championships. “We’ll continue to work hard and build on the positives. It’s an important part of the game. Not everybody is going to have a great round all the time. You have to build on that,” Hunter said.

The Hoyas are scheduled to travel to Princeton April 21 and 22 and will look for another title at the Big East Championships April 29 and 30.