Sundays are not kind to the Georgetown women’s soccer team.

For the third straight week, the Hoyas have played host to a Big East opponent on a Sunday afternoon on North Kehoe Field. And for the third straight week, the Hoyas have come away with a loss.

The most recent Sunday loss came two days ago, a 2-0 shutout by the Syracuse Orange (8-5-2, 2-5-1 Big East). The win snapped a six-game conference winless streak for Syracuse, while the Hoyas (5-8-1, 2-4-1 Big East) remain winless in their last five Big East matches.

“We thought this was a must-win for us,” Syracuse Head Coach Patrick Farmer said. “We thought that if Georgetown won it would actually eliminate us from the Big East tournament, if not mathematically, then realistically.”

For the Hoyas, the game was also a much-needed win, but Georgetown just could not find a way to get the victory.

“Our girls didn’t treat it was a must-win and I can’t understand the mindset,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Nolan said. “I don’t know how we can go and play like we did against Villanova on Friday, at Villanova, and then come out with as flat an effort as we had today. It was a must-win game for them and . it just wasn’t that big a deal to us.”

That flat effort put the Hoyas in an early hole. Just 3:04 into the match, Syracuse senior forward Shana Thomas netted a goal to give the Orange an early 1-0 lead.

Thomas picked up a loose ball in front of the goal and put it past Georgetown freshman goalkeeper Jade Higgins for what would be the game winner.

The Hoyas regrouped after the goal and dominated the rest of the half, outshooting the Orange 10-4 in the period, but they could not find the back of the net and went into halftime still trailing 1-0.

“To score one early on gives you a little breathing room,” Farmer said. “But they had 35 minutes of [possession] out of the first 45, so we didn’t intend to go back and play defense for the entire half, but we ended up doing that, and we survived.”

In the second half, with the wind against them, Georgetown still dominated time of possession and shots, taking nine to Syracuse’s two.

But the Orange were more efficient with their shots and capitalized on their limited chances, scoring a security goal with 4:18 remaining on the clock when Thomas took the ball into the box unassisted and again put it past Higgins.

The Hoyas battled back after the late goal but nothing would go in and the game closed with Syracuse on top 2-0.

The win moves the Orange above the Hoyas in the Big East standings, bumping them from 10th to eighth. The Hoyas fell from eighth to ninth and are now in danger of not making the conference tournament.

“If we had a win today I felt that would have been the three points we needed that would have definitely got us in the tournament,” Nolan said. “But we’re not trying to get into the tournament to finish eighth. We’re trying to finish as high up as we can . but we blew it big time today.”

The loss today, Nolan said, was more disappointing because it came on the heels of two strong Hoya performances – a 2-1 last-minute loss two weekends ago to No. 1 Notre Dame and a 1-1 double-overtime tie with Villanova last Friday.

“We play to the level of the opposition,” Nolan said. “We played great against Notre Dame, and we played great against Villanova, and we played poorly against Rutgers, and we played poorly against Syracuse.”

The Hoyas will continue their three-game home stand this afternoon against Liberty (4-7-0) in a non-conference matchup.

Georgetown will then return to Big East play on Friday afternoon, playing host to Seton Hall (7-7-2, 2-6-0 Big East) before going on the road to close out the regular season on Sunday at No. 18 West Virginia (13-3-0, 7-2-0 Big East).

“Now the Seton Hall game becomes for us a must-win game and if the effort is similar to here it will be a similar type of game with a similar type of score,” Nolan said. “If the kids come to play like they can play, we should take care of business pretty easily, but, again, we play to the level of the teams we play against.”