After losing six players in the offseason, the Georgetown men’s basketball team is looking to its newest members, freshmen Sead Dizdarevic, Matt Causey, Ray Reed and Kenny Izzo, to make their presence felt immediately.

The most highly-touted of the newcomers is Sead Dizdarevic, a 6-8 forward from Serbia and Montenegro by way of Sacramento, Calif. Dizdarevic grew up in the war-torn former Yugoslavia, playing on a traveling basketball team with men twice his age. He lived for basketball. To help realize his dream of someday playing in the NBA, Dizdarevic moved to northern California for his senior year of high school. Playing at North Highlands High School, Dizdarevic averaged 22 points, 14 rebounds, four assists and 1.5 blocks per game and led his team to their first northern California sectional finals in 20 years. Often compared to his fellow countryman Peja Stojakovic, a forward for the Sacramento Kings, Dizdarevic is a well-rounded player considering his size. Able to play well in the paint, in transition and on the perimeter, Dizdarevic can be counted on for rebounds as well as three-pointers.

“Sead is the hardest working kid I’ve ever coached,” said Greg Drumheller, Dizdarevic’s head coach at North Highland. “He’s a dominant player. He has a great outside shot and he’s very fast for a 6-8 guy. He was a good defender in high school because he was bigger and stronger than all the kids he was defending, but he needs to work on his perimeter defense to really excel at the collegiate level.”

Georgetown has added two new guards to their roster this season as well. Matt Causey from Gainesville, Ga. and Ray Reed from Inglewood, Calif. will both add speed and depth to the already powerful Hoya backcourt.

“I’m familiar with both of them and I like both of their games,” said sophomore forward Brandon Bowman, who played with Causey at Nike camp a few years ago and against Reed on many occasions while they were both growing up in southern California.

Matt Causey, a 5-11 guard, comes to Georgetown from Berkmar High School in Lilburn, Ga. Causey was rated as one of the top 100 recruits in the nation and is a great addition for the Hoyas. Deadly from behind the three-point line, Causey has great vision and presence on the court. He was named the tournament MVP at the 2003 Red Cross-Rotary Roundball Classic, as well as to the All-Tournament team for the Southern Company GAS Holiday Classic. Causey also brings big-game experience to Georgetown. As a sophomore, he and his older brother Mark led East Hall High School to the Class AAA State Championship and as a senior he led Berkmar to the Georgia Sweet 16.

“We’re from the same place,” said senior guard Gerald Riley, who saw Causey play high school ball in Georgia. “He’s a good guy and he’s a true point guard. I’m sure he will work out well with the team and will help a lot this year.”

Georgetown’s other new guard, Ray Reed, will also add experience and versatility to the squad. Touted as one of the top-10 combination guards in southern California, Reed was named the Division II-AA All-CIF Southern Section Co-Player of the Year in 2003. Reed averaged 24 points, six assists and three steals a game his senior year and led his team to the southern California finals. Reed relies on his natural athletic ability and is able to play either guard slot. Whether penetrating or playing the perimeter, Reed is a dangerous offensive weapon.

Head coach Craig Esherick, now in his fifth year as the men’s basketball head coach, said he is pleased with both Causey and Reed, and hopes they can add to the Hoyas potentially potent perimeter play.

The final addition to the 2003-2004 Hoya team is Kenny Izzo. A walk-on from Fenwick High School in Chicago, Ill., Izzo can play both forward and center, adding much needed depth to the latter position. At 6-8 and 200 pounds, Izzo has a strong presence inside and adds power to both the offense and defense.

“I’m happy with what I’ve seen so far,” said Esherick. “I think all four of them are going to be able to help us. I’m happy so far with their progress and I think all four of them have worked extremely hard.”