Image Contributor
Freshman second baseman Eric Fernandez went 2-for-3 with three RBI in the Hoyas 6-2 home win over Navy Wednesday.

Having lost eight of their last nine games entering Wednesday’s game with Navy, the Hoyas were able to right their ship by capsizing the Midshipmen.

Georgetown (13-21, 3-12 Big East) swept its season series against Navy (21-18) with a 6-2 win at Shirley Povich Field. The Hoyas put up three runs in both the sixth and seventh innings to erase the two-run lead the Midshipmen had built in the top of the sixth. Georgetown beat Navy 6-0 a week ago.

Senior right-handed pitcher Erick Chandler allowed only three hits in the first five innings but was tagged for two runs in the top of the sixth. Sophomore right-hander Cary Piligian pitched three innings of one-hit ball to pick up his first win of the season.

Though the Hoyas fell behind in the sixth, they quickly got on the board and in front of the Midshipmen. Freshman third baseman Sean Lamont led off the inning with a double down the leftfield line and scored two batters later when freshman second baseman Erick Fernandez doubled him home.

In the bottom of the seventh inning, sophomore centerfielder Tommy Lee led off the inning with a single. Following two strike outs, Georgetown loaded the bases with two walks. A single from Fernandez drove in two more runs, and the final run came when senior leftfielder Matt Harrigan stole home on a double steal.

Strangely enough, when Georgetown played Navy a week ago, the Hoyas pulled off a double steal where Lee swiped home.

Lamont finished the game 2-for-3 with two runs scored. He leads Georgetown in hits, doubles, home runs, runs scored and runs batted in.

In Tuesday’s game against George Mason (18-19), the Hoyas were stifled by the Patriots’ sophomore righthander Kris Mengle. Mengle scattered seven hits over eight innings and struck out seven Georgetown batters in the Patriots’ 6-1 win.

The Hoyas finally got to Mengle in the bottom of the ninth, when Mengle hit senior catcher Chris Iannetta with a pitch to start the inning. Lamont and Harrigan followed with consecutive singles to load the bases. After a George Mason pitching change, sophomore first baseman Dan Capeless hit a sacrifice fly to drive in Georgetown’s first run. But that was all the Hoyas’ offense could muster, as a strike out and foul out ended the game.

Junior righthander Jimmy Saris, Georgetown’s starting pitcher, only went two and a third innings before Head Coach Pete Wilk went to his bullpen. Freshman left-hander gave Wilk four innings of work, giving up four runs on eight hits. Sophomore right-hander Jack Bender worked two and two-thirds innings, giving up only one hit while striking out four batters.

This weekend, Georgetown will look to put an end to its six-game Big East losing streak when they travel to Cincinnati for a series with the Bearcats.

Last season, Georgetown took two of three games from Cincinnati, but the Bearcats (20-13, 9-3 Big East) are a much-improved team this year. They are one win short of their Big East win total from last year and are currently tied for second in the league.

Cincinnati has seven regulars hitting .295 or better, and the Bearcats carry a .286 team batting average. While Georgetown’s offense is not far behind with a .283 team average, there is a large disparity in the two teams’ pitching staffs. The Bearcats have a team ERA of 3.83 (third in the Big East), while the Hoyas are dead last in the league with a 5.95 ERA.

First pitch tonight is set for 6:30 p.m.