Hoyas Edge Out Umass

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The Hoyas are going to the Big Dance.

The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team qualified for its third-straight NCAA tournament but it certainly did not take the easy route. For a team that is 10-1 overall and 5-0 in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference, the Hoyas certainly have kept the season interesting.

For the second game in a row, the Hoyas pulled out a one-goal victory, a 19-18 win over ECAC opponent Massachusetts.

Georgetown needed a late goal by junior midfielder Mike Henehan to escape with the win. Henehan scored his fourth goal of the game with just 58 seconds remaining on the clock to give the Hoyas the win and guarantee them a first-place finish in the ECAC.

UMass had a chance to even the score in the remaining seconds of the game, as the Minutemen had possession of the ball as time ticked off the clock. But a penalty for illegal procedure gave the ball back to the Hoyas who held on for two seconds to preserve the win.

Georgetown took a 18-16 lead in the fourth quarter, off of goals by Henehan and freshman Brant Gresham, but UMass was able to tie the game within just 12 seconds on goals by attackmen Kevin Leveille and Kevin Dell.

Henehan’s final goal then proved to be the game-winner.

Freshman Trevor Walker started out the scoring for Georgetown. But UMass responded by scoring five of the next six goals to take a 5-2 lead with 6:40 remaining in the first period. The Minutemen led 7-6 at the end of that period.

UMass continued to build on the lead, scoring the first two goals of the second quarter to lead by three goals, 9-6. But the Hoyas offense caught a spark and fired off some quick goals to take the lead again before the end of the half. Senior attackman Scott Urick scored back-to-back goals in just 24 seconds and junior attackman Jamie Sharpe found the back of the net with just 14 seconds remaining in the half to give Georgetown a 12-10 lead at the break.

Three goals by the Minutemen in the third period brought them back into the game and tied the score at 14.

Flick finished the game as the high scorer for the Hoyas, with three goals and three assists. Henehan was right behind him with four goals and an assist. Urick also tallied a hat trick.

Georgetown was again beaten out in the face-off circle, as UMass picked up 27 of the game’s 40 face-offs. The Minutemen also grabbed 50 groundballs to the Hoyas’ 40.

Sophomore goalkeeper Scott Schroeder finished the game with 10 saves and 18 goals allowed. For the Minutemen, Chris Campolettano turned back 20 Hoya shots and allowed 19 goals.

The Hoyas are on the road again this weekend, heading up the New Jersey Turnpike to play the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers. Rutgers is 1-3 in the ECAC and 3-8 overall. The Scarlet Knights are coming off of a 12-6 loss to Penn State. Rutgers also lost to top-ranked Syracuse 18-6 earlier this month.

The Scarlet Knights are led by Keith Cromwell, the ECAC Player of the Week for the week of April 13. Cromwell was selected as the ECAC Preseason Player of the Year by Face-Off Magazine and a 1999 Honorable Mention All-American.