Most of America was celebrating St. Patrick’s Day on Saturday, but No. 11 Georgetown did not need the luck of the Irish – it had Andrew Baird.

With their leading scorer, senior attacker Brendan Cannon, held without a goal for the first time this season, Baird, a senior attacker as well, scored five goals, including the game-winner in overtime as the Hoyas (3-2) beat Hobart (2-2) 13-12 on Saturday.

“It’s a league game, and with our tough start we really wanted to pick it up to get the [automatic qualifier],” Baird said. “I was in the right place at the right time, and guys were finding me. It was a team effort.”

Hobart jumped to an early two-goal lead before Baird got started. Sophomore defender Barney Ehrmann took a ground ball and, showing excellent speed for his 6-foot-5 frame, raced down the field and found Baird who easily scored to put the home team on the board. Under 30 seconds later he scored again, this time off of an assist from junior midfielder Todd Cochran who found Baird on the wing.

“We knew he’s a handful inside,” Hobart Head Coach Matt Kerwick said. “He’s really good without the ball, and we knew he would present some problems.”

The teams traded goals for the remainder of the half and looked to be headed into the half tied at five goals apiece before Hobart junior midfielder Matt Smalley got to the net uncontested and beat senior goalkeeper Miles Kass with eight seconds to go to, putting the Statesmen ahead 6-5.

After falling behind 7-5 to start the second half, the experienced Hoyas showed their poise as they went on a 6-2 run to end the quarter spurred by the 13 ground balls that they picked up.

“Ground balls is nothing more than heart and perseverance, and our team showed that today,” Kass said. “Ground balls is that one stat that shows if you gave that extra 10 percent, whether it’s pretty or not.”

One of the most impressive plays of the day came with five minutes to go in the third quarter with the score tied at 8-8. Cochran took the ball from the left wing and drove through the Hobart defense. In front of the net with two defenders on him, Cochran got checked and, while falling down, ripped a shot that got by Hobart sophomore goalkeeper Max Silberlicht to put the Hoyas up 9-8.

Georgetown extended its lead to 12-9 two minutes into the final period after sophomore attacker Ricky Mirabito found a streaking Baird who easily beat Silberlicht for his fourth goal of the game. With a three-goal lead in front of a home crowd, the Hoyas looked to have the game well in hand, but for the second time in seven days, they would suffer a late-game collapse.

After narrowing the deficit to 12-10, Hobart senior attacker Jamie Kirk scored from the left wing to cut the lead to one goal with three minutes to play. After a great save by Kass on the ensuing possession, Hobart retained control of the ball, and with 1:15 to go, Kirk found the back of the net again to send the game into overtime.

“I got nervous,” Baird said of his mindset entering overtime. “You definitely think about the last time you played overtime, and how it finished. You want to make up for it and come out on the other end.”

Both teams were scoreless in the first overtime, with Kass making a spectacular play on a shot in front of the net in which he picked up the rebound in front of the net, and while taking a vicious hit from a Statesman, managed to clear the ball outside the Georgetown zone.

“Time and time again, he’s the heart of this team,” Baird said of Kass. “He comes up huge for us in so many big games, and when he plays well we all play off of his energy and his fire.”

In the second overtime period, Urick chose to go with the hot hand, trying to set up Baird for an open shoot. With 2:16 left in the period, those efforts paid off as Baird struck gold. Cannon, who had three assists in the contest, found Baird on the right wing, and the senior, who looked anything but nervous, calmly put the ball home to give the Hoyas the 13-12 victory.

“It’s a huge benefit that he’s a senior,” Kass said of Baird’s late-game heroics. “That’s crucial if you’re catching an inside pass, to be able to catch that pass and put it in the back of the net without breaking a sweat. That’s what he was able to do.”

While Urick was pleased with the victory, faceoffs continue to be a major concern for Georgetown. The Statesmen held a 17-11 faceoff advantage in the contest, and the Hoyas have struggled all season, winning just 42-of-98 faceoffs.

“Right now we’re not facing off with any consistency at all, and it’s a concern heading into next week,” Urick said.

Next up for Georgetown is No. 1 Duke on Saturday at 11 a.m.