Retrievers take notice: according to Jessie Sapp, “There are no Cinderellas.”

Sapp, donning a t-shirt embossed with the slogan for Nike’s new ad campaign, insisted that his attire was a coincidence, and not a message to the Hoyas’ first round foe, but the upshot was unmistakable: Georgetown does not intend to make the University of Maryland at Baltimore County squad into a legend.

For the second straight year, Georgetown enters the NCAA tournament as a No. 2 seed.

The Hoyas will play UMBC, the 15 seed in the Midwest Regional, in the first round on Friday in Raleigh, N.C. The game time will be announced early this week.

UMBC is 24-8 and won the automatic bid out of the American East conference. The Retrievers have four players who score in double figures and are led by senior guard Ray Barbosa, who nets 16.9 points per game.

“You can’t get to this part of the year and overlook anyone,” Head Coach John Thompson III said. “The teams are too well-coached, too poised. They won their league or they’re playing well and got an at-large bid – that’s what makes [the NCAA tournament] so special.”

Thompson said he has only seen about 10 minutes of UMBC play in the American East conference championship against Hartford, but that he will need to look at tape over the next few days to set his game plan. He also added that Georgetown players are familiar with the players on UMBC from various summer leagues around the D.C. area.

The Hoyas were in Leo O’Donovan Hall to watch the Selection Show with fans, but the players gave very little reaction when Georgetown flashed across the screen.

“A lot of teams you saw jumping up and down, but I think our team stayed calm, and we’re led by a veteran group that knows what it takes,” senior center Roy Hibbert said. “Two or three years ago we may have been jumping up and down and going crazy, but we knew we were in, and we all assumed what number we were going to be.”

Should the Hoyas win their first-round game, they will play the winner of the Gonzaga-Davidson game on Sunday. The other top seeds in the Hoyas’ region are No. 1 Kansas and No. 3 Wisconsin. The Sweet 16 and Elite Eight games in the Midwest Region will be played in Detroit, while the Final Four and National Championship will be in San Antonio.