BASEBALL Hoyas Drop Two to Lions By Mark Mulvanny Hoya Staff Writer

They were able to escape the rain, but the Georgetown Baseball team could not prevent two losses to the Columbia Lions this Tuesday. With rain in the forecast for Wednesday, the Hoyas (6-19) played both games of their two game set against Columbia Tuesday afternoon. Georgetown came up short in both games, falling 7-3 and 12-9.

Columbia scored quickly in the first game. In the first inning Lion catcher Joe Catsam set the Hoyas back 3-0 with one swing. Catsam’s three-run homer off Georgetown starter Tom O’Connor (0-2) put the Hoyas in a tough position before they had the opportunity to bat.

“We seem to be looking uphill almost every start,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said, “It really takes its toll on the whole team.”

The Hoyas responded resiliently in their half of the first by scoring two runs on sophomore centerfielder Carlos Gazitua’s base-clearing double. Gazitua drove in another run in the fifth with an RBI single.

But Gazitua would be one of the few bright spots on a tough day for Georgetown baseball. The sophomore went 2-3 and drove in all three Hoya runs.

Georgetown’s biggest problem in the first game was its pitching. Four Hoya pitchers surrendered seven runs and 15 hits while striking out only two Lions. Columbia right-hander Adam Schwartz’s complete game sharply contrasted with the Hoyas’ frequent pitching changes.

“I wore a path to the mound on Tuesday,” Wilk said.

Unfortunately for Georgetown, Wilk wore the same path in the second game. Freshman Patrick Harrigan (2-1) was the first of five Georgetown pitchers to face the Lions. Harrigan threw two innings of scoreless ball before things got away from him. He gave up two runs in the third and four more in the fourth.

After holding a 1-0 lead through two, Georgetown again faced an uphill battle down 6-2 through four and 11-5 after six innings of play. Two-RBI performances by Gazitua and freshman shortstop Matt Johnson fell short of consistent offense from the Lions’ first four hitters.

Georgetown took a little back with four runs in the eighth highlighted by freshman Michael Lombardi’s pinch-hit three-run homer. However the Hoyas did not have enough offensive firepower to overcome their inconsistent pitching and four fielding errors.

“Offense comes and goes, but its pitching and defense that need to remain consistent. They haven’t consistently been there for us and that’s why we are six and 19,” Wilk said.

Georgetown hopes to bounce back from these losses as the Hoyas face West Virginia this weekend in a three-game set at home. These Big East contests will feature a doubleheader on Saturday with the third game to follow on Sunday. Games begin at noon on both days and will be held in Cabin John Park in Bethesda, Md.

“West Virginia’s the top pitching team in the Big East and we’ve been hitting the ball well,” Wilk said, “It’s going to be interesting.”