Hoyas Drop Two Matches

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

It was another disappointing weekend for Georgetown tennis. The men lost to Hampton University 5-0 on Saturday and were defeated by Duquesne University 4-3 on Sunday. eanwhile, the Hampton University women handed the Georgetown women an 8-1 loss on Saturday.

Playing host to Hampton at McDonough Courts, the Georgetown men were once again unable to convert strong efforts into victories. The Hoyas lost all three doubles matches, with the best performance coming at the No. 3 spot where senior Dave Boyer and sophomore Ken Jordan were 8-5 losers to Hampton’s No. 3 duo.

In the singles competition, with two matches canceled due to rain, Hampton swept the four successfully completed matches to wrap up their 5-0 victory. The Hoyas had first set success in many of their matches but were unable to sustain their level of play into the second set. At No. 1 singles, sophomore Nick Sklavounos was defeated 6-4, 6-0 by Pyung Koo Lee. Freshman Troy Crichlow faced a similar outcome at No. 3 singles, falling 7-5, 6-0 to Paulo Barros.

On Sunday, Georgetown’s inability to convert on key points led to their 4-3 loss to Duquesne at McDonough Courts. Duquesne captured the doubles point despite a late comeback by Georgetown freshmen Marc Lohser and Troy Crichlow at the No. 1 position.

Ultimately, they lost 8-6 to Duquesne’s Garth Levin and Jason ayer. If they had won, the doubles point would have gone to Georgetown because the tandem of Jordan and Boyer werevictorious 8-4 at No. 3 doubles over Vicente Arias and Dan Somers.

The singles competition was also closely contested. Georgetown senior captain Beau Brewer defeated Vincente Arias 6-2, 7-5 at No. 4 singles. Georgetown sophomore Andre Benjamin added another victory at the No. 5 spot with a 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 win over Drew Stephen. The Hoyas secured their third and final point with a 6-3, 6-3 win by Jordan over Somers at the No. 6 position. The top three singles matches were narrow victories for Duquesne, giving them the 4-3 win.

The Georgetown men also played this past Tuesday against Howard University but results were unavailable. The two losses over the weekend drop the men’s record to 3-14 on the year. They will host South Carolina State this Saturday at McDonough Courts.

The Georgetown women were stymied by Hampton Saturday at cDonough Courts. The lone victory for the Hoyas in the 8-1 loss came at No. 4 singles where senior co-captain Missy Mendes was a 6-3, 6-2 winner.

Again, Georgetown was close in many matches but kept off the score sheet. At No. 1 doubles, senior co-captain Lucky Ravindra and sophomore Caroline Marshall were edged 9-7 by Hampton’s No. 1 duo. At No. 1 singles, Lucky Ravindra was again narrowly defeated by her doubles opponent by a score of 6-4, 6-4. Lucky’s twin sister, senior Sarada Ravindra, put in a valiant effort at No. 2 singles but fell 7-5, 6-4.

The loss to Hampton lowers the women’s record to 4-9 on the season. This weekend they will play host to South Carolina State and Marist University Saturday and Big East opponent Rutgers University Sunday. All matches will be at McDonough Courts.