The Georgetown volleyball team needed something of a morale booster after dropping two Big East games this past weekend to Boston College and Connecticut.

Georgetown got that boost with a win over crosstown rival American University on Wednesday night.

The Hoyas defeated the Eagles in five close games (21-30, 30-24, 26-30, 30-23, 15-9), snapping a seven-game win streak for American.

Early on, it looked as if the Eagles were well on their way to an eighth victory. American defeated Georgetown in the first game and held the Hoyas to a .000 hitting percentage.

But neither team could gather momentum, and the second game went Georgetown’s way, with the third going to American.

Battling back, Georgetown won the fourth to force a game five, which the Hoyas put away, thanks to seven kills and a .417 hitting percentage.

The victory was a true team effort for Georgetown, which had four players in double figures for kills.

Junior outside hitter Ashley Lancaster and senior middle blocker Sara Albert had 14 kills each. Lancaster was one dig short of a double-double, while Albert contributed six blocks to the cause. Junior outside hitters Rachel Nelson and Jenny Weed rounded out the top kill totals with 12 and 10 kills, respectively. Nelson also had 12 digs.

Freshman Kate Nulty continued to shine in the libero position and had 19 digs. Freshman Kate Fisher and senior Margaret Vernon shared the setting duties and had 26 and 28 assists respectively.

Leading the way for the Eagles was junior middle blocker Cutrina Biddulph, who had a match-high 19 kills.

The Hoyas continued to struggle with their serving. Georgetown had 13 serving errors on the night, but managed to balance it out with 10 aces.

With the win, Georgetown moved to 12-8 overall, but its weekend losses gave the Hoyas a 0-2 Big East Record.

Georgetown will try to improve upon that on Saturday evening at 5 p.m. when the Villanova Wildcats arrive in McDonough Gymnasium for a Big East matchup.