Hoyas Come in 11th but Attain New School Marks

21 of 38 Georgetown Records Set

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown swim team met with success at the Big East Championships this past weekend, where both the men’s and women’s squads placed 11th out of 13 teams. This is the highest the team has placed since the expansion of the Big East four years ago. The highlight was the fact that 21of the possible 38 school records were broken.

The team traveled to the Goodwill Games Complex in Uniondale, N.Y. shaved, tapered and ready to swim. The swimmers entered the meet confident after finishing a good season. The men ended the regular season with a 9-3 record while the women finished at 6-6.

The meet started off with the 200-yard freestyle relay of freshmen Sophia Adkison, Caragh Moynihan, Anne Bihler and Lauren Schmidt finishing ninth with a time of 1:39.12 breaking the old record of 1:41.17 set just two years ago. Many of the freshmen swam outstandingly, according to Head Coach Beth Bower.

Senior Chris Hazelton, junior Brendan Moynihan, freshman Chris Lengle, and junior John Willey placed seventh on the men’s side with a time of 1:24.20 shaving almost two and a half seconds off the old record of 1:26.60 also set two years ago. Throughout the meet the Hoyas broke records in eight out of the 10 relays.

After only the first three swimming events, the Hoyas had already broken three school records. In the first individual event, freshman Amanda Anderson swam a personal best of 5:11.77 in the 500-yard freestyle just barely a second under the prior record held by E. Giebler. Anderson also broke Caroline Arpe’s record of 17:48.03 in the 1,650-yard freestyle, swimming a 17:45.99.

Freshman Sophia Adkison broke her own record set earlier this year in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 53.29. Junior Meghan Welch broke three of her own records in the 100-yard breaststroke, where she took 14th place with 1:06.40, in the 200-yard breaststroke, taking 10th place with 2:22.20, and in the 200-yard individual medley cutting more than three seconds off her prior best time of 2:12.92.

Moynihan finished 16th in the 100-yard butterfly with a 58.57 breaking the record formerly held by Schmidt. Together Adkison, Welch, Schmidt, and Moynihan smashed the old record of 4:06.04 in the 400-yard medley relay swimming a 3:59.06.

The women’s 11th place finish was all the more sweet when they realized they placed above both Providence College and St. John’s University, two teams to which they lost by only a few points in dual meets during the season. Although Providence was ahead of Georgetown going into the final day of the meet, Welch’s top 16 finish along with a 10th place relay finish put the Hoyas one spot above them.

Senior Chris Hazelton achieved his goal of breaking a record in his last collegiate meet. Hazelton swam a 21.21 in the 50-yard freestyle leading off the 200-yard free relay. M. arilly’s record of 21.38 had stood since 1983.

Junior John Willey was the first Hoya to medal in any individual event since the late 1980s. He placed sixth in the 200-yard freestyle tying the Georgetown record of 1:41.18 set by Grank Peloso in 1989. Willey also took 16th place in the 500-yard freestyle breaking his own record of 4:42.42 by over four seconds.

Freshman Chris Lengle was also a top 16 finisher, taking 15th place in the 50-yard freestlye. Other outstanding swims include freshman Will Miller, who took an impressive 15 seconds off of his 500-yard freestyle time.

Junior Brenden Moynihan set a new 100-yard backstroke record of 54.01. Zal Devitre held the old record of 54.29. Steve Brown broke Jim Steckart’s record of 59.98 in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 59.57. Hazelton, Moynihan, Lengle and Willey swam a 3:06.04, almost four seconds faster than the old record of 3:10.01.

Senior diver Brian Campbell also finished up his college career with a great meet. He placed tenth in the one-meter event and ninth in the three-meter event.

Due to the fact that the Big East Championships were held one week later than usual, the Georgetown Swim Team did not attend the East Coast Athletic Championships, which several swimmers were qualified for, because the dates conflicted.

Although the team will lose the leadership of the seniors who will graduate this year, the future looks very promising. The majority of the new record holders will return for at least another season. The impressive results of this year’s Big East Championships seem hard to top.

“I only hope it happens again. This will not be a one-time event,” Bower said. “Georgetown swimming is going this way. It will continue to improve, swim fast and make an impact in the Big East.”