MEN’S HOOPS Hoyas Come Close, But Lose at Big East Overtime Unkind to GU Again By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

NEW YORK, March 6 – With 5:19 remaining, the Hoyas had everything going the way they wanted it. A Mike Sweetney basket inside had just capped a 12-4 run that gave Georgetown a 65-57 lead over No. 19 Miami and Georgtown seemed to be within minutes of capturing a victory that likely would have propelled it into the NCAA Tournament with an at-large bid. But as has often been the case this season, the end of the game did not go as Georgetown planned.

After Sweetney’s basket, Miami sophomore Darius Rice went on a personal 11-3 run against the Hoyas and tied the game at 68 with a three pointer with 2:27 left in regulation. The two teams fought to a 72-72 tie at the end of regulation, but Miami outscored Georgetown 12-4 in overtime.

The Hoyas had ample opportunities to win the game, but often came up lacking. Critical turnovers by Harvey Thomas and Courtland Freeman with less than a minute to play deprived Georgetown of key possessions. Freeman’s turnover came with just 9.5 seconds left in the game and prevented the Hoyas from taking a potential game winning shot. Rice’s three-point attempt on the ensuing iami possession fell short and the game went into overtime.

The Hurricanes relied heavily on the efforts of Rice and sophomore Marcus Barnes in the victorious effort. Barnes carried iami in the first half, scoring a career high 27 points in the game, including shooting six for 10 from behind the three point arc. After scoring just three points in the first half, Rice added 15 points after the break, 11 of those coming in the final five minutes of regulation. “I think it shows his maturity as a player to gather himself in this environment after not shooting well in the first half,” Miami Head Coach Perry Clark said.

Senior guard John Salmons contributed 11 rebounds and 10 assists.

Miami outrebounded Georgetown 49-45 and capitalized on its 17 offensive rebounds for 23 second chance points.

After shooting 51-percent from the foul line against Providence, the Hoyas again shot below the team’s season average from the foul line and this time it likely cost them the victory. Georgetown missed nine of its 23 free throws, including the front end of a one and one with Miami leading 79-76 with 48.6 seconds remaining in overtime.

Wesley Wilson led the Hoyas with 16 points and 10 rebounds, while Sweetney added 14 points and eight boards. Gerald Riley sank four of his six attempted three-pointers en route to a 15 point performance.

With the overtime loss to Miami, Georgetown is now 0-4 in overtime contests this season and has lost two more games (Connecticut and Pittsburgh) by one point in regulation.

Georgetown’s other overtime losses include Notre Dame, Villanova and Rutgers.

“I told the players that are returning next year to remember this feeling,” Esherick said, referring to leaving the team’s Tournament fate up to the selection committee. For his part Esherick believes that his team deserved to be in the field of 65. “I certainly think that we played well enough to deserve a bid.”